need some help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello all i suffer from severe anxiety and dp/dr i have been given venlaxafine to be taken i did 3 weeks at 75mg and on wednesday i have been taking 150mg. how long should i give it time to work at 150mg before trying something else as i feel it is making me worse. many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

plese someone help me im so desperate sad
  • Posted

Hi Ian

Im not familiar with Venlafaxine, but I do take a different SSRI called Citalopram which I've taken for years.

You will feel worse to start with - the meds heighten your symptoms initially, but it will wear off after a few weeks.  Don't increase meds too quick - let each take effect as each dose will also give you initial side effects, so increasing quickly can make you feel quite yuk.

These type of meds take a long time to work - but it's so worth sticking it out.  I'd suffered severe anxiety and depression for 15 years with nothing helping, but I was put into SSRI's and had recovered by 6 months.  A long time maybe, but short in comparison to the time I'd been ill.  I've been well for years now.

Some people feel better by 3-4 months, some longer, some quicker.  recovery often comes in waves too, so you may start to feel better and then a day or even a week later feel bad again.  This is normal.  This pattern is repeated throughout recovery, getting easier and easier, with the good times getting longer and stronger and the bad times getting less until they finally stop.

Dont try and hurry recovery because it'll come to you in it's own time.  A large dose doesn't necessarily make you better any quicker.

It can be a tough journey, but people on here will help.  Some have removed, some still struggling.  Try also posting on the Citalopram group and also the Fluoxetine group ..... unless there's a Venlafxine group in here too.

Keep in touch.

K xx

• Posted

Typos ...... last para should say 'some have recovered, some still struggling' .......... not some have removed??? 🙄
  • Posted

HI ian,

Im not familiar with Venlafaxine, In my point of view you nned to take expert advice.

It will help you to feel better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.