Need some help, please, dizzienss and med changes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I saw my endo yesterday and i've been having some problems with my TSH level since October.  The TSH has been going up and down, one month normal 1.40 range .045-4.50 then the next 4.41 and the next  1.70 and the next 5.40.  So we have changed meds for the past 3 months I'm taking unithroid, last month he decide to alternate .75 one day .50 the next,  well this sent the TSH to 10.  He said he did this because my anxiety was so high he wanted to see if the anxiety would go down and it did some.  He said he wasn't worried about the 10 number becasue he knew it would go up from the  5.40 last month, at that time I was on.75 unithroid every day.  Now he has me going up slowly, .75 4 days a week and .50 three day, for 2 weeks then .75 5 days and week and .50 2 days a week for the ramaining 4 weeks then retest.  I'm curious has anyone else been thru this with the TSH flucuating like this.  He thinks it was because of the steriod injections I had for 4 weeks and it caused the levels to go crazy and the anxiety to sky rocket.  I've also been having dizziness since july, i feel like i'm rocking or swaying all day wether i'm sitting, standing, laying down or walking.  I also feel it when I bend forward.  I had testing for that this week also and the ENT says its vestibular dysfuction and i have to start therapy for it.  Does anyone else have this?

Anther thing i'm had in the past 3 weeks, I don't know if it has anything to do with the alternating meds for the month and the dosage being so much lower than normal, but my left shoulder and arm ache alot.  

If you have any help i would appreciate it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Patty:

My name  is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

I have a few thoughts:  Check your ferritin levels and make sure they are above 70.  Most people can be low at times and this would effect the outcome of the Unithyroid.

Wait at least 1 hour before eating and take your thyroid med at the same time each day, if you can.  Also check out the maker and see if you have any allergies to any of the ingredients such as fillers used like Maize/corn or starches. this can effect absorption of the med.

How about asking the doctor to lower the Levo to 50mcg or 75mcg once a day and adding just  5mcg of T3 Liothyronine to it.  T3 is the needed hormone and T4 sometimes does not convert well in some of us.  The T3 may help stablize your TSH.  I am on Liothyronine and hae had great T3 and TSH results that I did not get with Levo.

Low thyroid cause aches and pains and is no fun. Have your Vit D checked also.  We lose the ability to make Vit D from sunlight as we age. I was low in it and Take 2000IU a day of Vit D.  It really helsp with muscle aches.

So that is what I would do, keep us posted, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

The dizziness can be from low blood pressure which is a common symptom with hypothyroidism.  I myself have been also having trouble getting my levels right.  I found out 3 years ago I had hypothyroidism and just now am getting my levels rightand am just starting to feel better.  I have had many dose changes in this time going up and down.  I have heard many other stories of it taking years to find your right dose.  Hang in there.. it will get better.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad your feeling better.  I think the high level of TSH is making things worse, but i have to wait it out.

THanks

• Posted

Hello Patty,

I'm also having the problems like you, i'm feeling this dizziness about a year and cannot erased it, feeling so bad. Feeling anxiety like you and also got problem with my TSH, it keep high. =(

Farah

• Posted

Patty I am not as far along in my hypothyroidism journey as you are but I am just here to say that I feel your pain.  I have had constant dizziness since mid-October.  My ferritin level was low and I am treating it with iron supplements but the dizziness remains.  

I hope you will keep us posted.  Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.