Need some help with symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys - so long story short, I had my first stint of AP about five years ago. Spent a week in the hospital and have had multiple flare ups ever since. Never been diagnosed with CP but last year, blood work came back and my lipase level was low. Few months ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Saw a gastro who did a EUS and said everything looks normal. However, I am still getting very horrible digestive symptoms. I have been on and off Creon. Creon worked well for about a month when I was first prescribed but hasn't worked well since. It just gives me a lot of trapped gas.

Guess what I am getting at is just looking for some advice. I have another appointment in two weeks for a second option. Does this sound like CP? Should I keep on the Creon (36K Unit, 2 per meal one per snack). Pain is upper right quadrant and stools are soft, yellow and loose.

Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The stool sounds like steatorrhea which is caused by fat not being digested correctly. Creon helps in the digestion of fat. Unfortunately, gas is common.

• Posted

Unfortunately, I agree that gas is part of chronic pancreatitis. I would suggest looking at side effects for CREON, to make sure you are not allergic to it. If so, people have had good results switching to ZenPep.

I also take Bentyl (Dicyclomine) for gas, and it REALLY helps me. Maybe ask your doctor about it?

• Posted

symtoms indicate CP. But it should match with medical report . when EUS was done ? how low your lipase ? when did you started Creon ?

• Posted

Thanks Andy - EUS was done in Novemeber of last year. Dont remeber the Lipase count but Doc said it was low, Creon Ive been on and off since last April. I actually decreased my dosage a few days ago and I think that has helped.

• Posted

hi,

I have CP but mine is idiopathic. Canadian version of Creon is Viocase and works well for me. having said that, it did take a few weeks for the gas to dissipate. as long as there is something happening down there that's a good thing. upper right quadrant just below or even with your ribcage? they should have already checked your gallbladder I would think but maybe double check.

• Posted

Thanks Coatesy - I am worried about my gallbladder, why I decided to bring up my symptoms. As I told Shortie above, actually decreasing my Creon dosage has helped, ill keep it up with that and keep in mind the alternatives. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.