Need some Peri advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI there.   I wanted to see if anyone could help me with this issue.  Back in Dec my OBGYN put me on birth control to help with some peri symptoms, the pill did start to regulate my period for a few months, & did help subside some of my symptoms, then from March to July no period, I started my next set of BC in the middle of July and then 10 days in I had very little bleeding and the color was brown, this lasted for 2 days and then the color changed to red and flow became heavy.  Once it changed to heavy is when my symptoms of feelling ill, upset tummy, sobbing, leg cramps etc started to happen. Now Im 8-9 days in and still bleeding but the flow is slowing down and im starting to feel somewhat normal. Not totally 100 percent but alot better than what I was.  So what I was wondering is why I got my period while on the pill, and why my symptoms were stronger than normal during this time?  I really think that me finally having a period after 4 months, which prob affected my hormones is what caused all of this to happen to me.  I was just wondering does this sound correct?  I know that our hormones are all over the place during peri so anything is poss.  Thanks for all your help.  I would be lost if I didnt have all of you to help.    Cant wait for all this be totally over... 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Amy, it's not uncommon for the pill to take some time to regulate your cycle.  Once your body adjusts to this new dynamic things can calm down.  However having said that, there's also something you need to consider.  There are many differnet pills on the market.  Ther reason..........because one pill does NOT fit all body types.  In fact, there is a physicians manual that deals with nothing but BCP problems and RX options.  So if this pill doesn't seem to work well for you, it's worth talking to your physician about another combination.  It's very common for physicians to RX Loestrin these days.  This pill has a much lower estrogen content.  For many women it works, for me it was simply horrid.  I would shake like a leaf and cry all afternoon.  So if this pill isn't working try something else sooner than ater.  Keep a diary of how you feel and your cycle, this will help you give your physician a clearer picture of your problems.

Good luck, hope you get this worked out, either with time or changing the pill to one that better works with your system. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info..  I was kind of thinking that 6-7 months in on birth control it would have regulated my system by now, esp since the 1st 3 months were spot on. 28 days and BAM  smile  I guess between being in peri & on the pill my body has no clue what to do..   I was thinking about switching to a different BC but I didnt know how much of a difference it would make.   My OBGYN a few months back said that if Lo Loestrin wasnt working he would put me on Loestrin.  I dont see him till Sept so..  This whole peri thing is UGH..  smile

• Posted

It should have calmed down within this amount of time.  So my suggestion is to take notes, possible call the office and tell a nurse about your cycle.  They can make the change by just calling in another RX.  And by the time you see your doc you could have tried another pill for a month.  

I'm not sure about which pill you are currently taking from your response,  just that he would be willing to switch you to Loestrin.  (Sorry I haven't heard of "Lo Loestrin"wink  But these low dose pills seem to be all the rage.  I am older (60 now)  and was from a time when the pill content was much much higher, and always did better on a pill that contained a higher estrogen content. In perimenopause Loestrin put me under the table.  I really couldn't cope with the crying, mood swings, shaking etc.  But a higher estrogen content pill stopped those problems.   

• Posted

Sorry for the confusion. I am on lo.loestrin fe 28s. When he mentioned about changing to a different pill he said loesrrin so I did look it up on line and both pills showed up etc. I was concerned with getting a period while ideas a week and half into taking the BC. I just assumed that it was related to peri and the bill and my body being all over the place which like you said I shouldn't. I'm going to call his office and have them prescribe me the other pill. Good point you made with if i start now ish then I will have over a month of the new pill and then tell him in Sept how I am etc. Thanks so much for the help. I would be lost without everyone here.

• Posted

Hi again Amy,

So sorry I hadn't heard about the newer Lo Loestrin. Without looking it up, my  guess is it's even lower amounts of estrogen than the Loestrin BCP.  

What you need to keep in mind is that the BCP is suppose to shut down your own system.  With the dose of synthetic estrogen and progetin daily, your FSH and LH should be shut down from your puitary which drives your monthly cycle.  For the final week you are on the pill, it's just a placebo (no hormones involved)  But the point of using a BCP in perimenopause is to give you a steady state of hormones daily, and shut down the erratic system we get in perimeno.   As long as that combination feels right, it should feel ok to you on a daily basis.   I never could get to a pill that felt right for me.  I did try bioidentical hormones, but in peri, those were even worse.  So I finally quite it all and just went with the natural, albeit unpredictable, system.  But even my system calmed and got more regular over time.   Even when that "regular" system (LOL) meant a period just once every threee months.

This is just so darn much fun!!   

• Posted

LOL  Yea I really would like to do everything "regular"/"normal"..  It has only been a year that I have been dealing with this & I dont know if I can handle this for god only knows how many more years.   Ugh...    Thanks for listening and for all the help & advice.    smile

• Posted

I, had similar issues with my bcp. My doctor had me change pills several times until we found one that was effective. Call him up & get an appointment sooner, I don't understand why would you wait until September? This makes no sense.

• Posted

I never make sense with stuff that I do. Lol. It's prob because I start feeling better and then I'm like I'll give it more time and see how I go. That's just me. 😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.