Need some positive vibes..before surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

Well, I've been dealing with my bartholin cyst since November. It''s been lanced 4 times, but keeps coming back. I've tried just about everything from antibiotics,to homeopathic remedies, the miracle method, serrapeptase, sitz baths, warm compresses, silicea...  and nothing worked for me, so my OB/Gyn and I have decided that it is best to get the entire gland removed instead. He has done the procedure many times in his 30 years of practicing, so I am confident in his ability.

The problem is me...I have a bad habit of reading horror stories and advice and all the junk that is out there on the internet and I am so afraid that I will either A. not wake up after the anethesia (it's my first procedure), B. The entire gland will not be removed and my cyst will plague me for the rest of my life, C. I will have post-op problems such as infection, chronic pain etc.

I really need to stop reading stories!! But i wouldn't mind some positive ones to ease my mind. My surgery is scheduled for next week and I think I will go crazy before then!!

Sorry for the vent! Needed a place to download all my thoughts.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Deep breath...I had my entire left bartholin gland removed Nov 21, 2014. My dr told me a 2-3 day recovery...not true!!!! Actually those were my worst days of pain (stay on pain meds and rest) and drainage. Hurt to walk, pee, breathe...everything. I was off work for 2 wks. I clean homes so the heavy lifting and standing wasn't happening. I didn't plan on that since I was told 2-3 day recovery (for normal or easy removal). My cyst was very deep and he had to dig in the muscle more than he thought and was the size of a tangerine. At my week follow-up I asked why I was still hurting horribly, bleeding, bruised and nasty drainage. He was not worried and said it was normal. Things had to healfrom the inside out. He was VERY happy with the way I was healing. The pain was from the invasive digging and is part of it. I wasn't told all ofthis and was depressed about not "fitting" into what I was told was normal. BUT with time, patiences and lots of Tylenol and ibuprofen today (1/8/15) I'm feeling so much better. I do still have some tenderness and 5 of the 7 stitches but sooo happy to know that I'll never have to deal with that cyst again. I recommend removal over the marsup due to all the issues that seems to go with it. Removal is out and done!! I too was worried about the anesthesia. I wasn't "knocked" completely out. More like a twilight sleep. I never felt anything and dont remember anything but I was told I answered "yes and no" to simple questions. In recovery I do remember asking for my gma to help me (she passed last Christmas) but it was my hubby and nurse. I did ice paks for 36 hrs as they recommend and this numbed the pain at home. I still do this after a long day at work but not as often. I do still have to sit on a soft pillow or donut pillow. I was told this is similar to the feeling/stitches after childbirth which I had c section so no clue!! Oh I do recommend to find a bottle to squirt/rinse during urination. This will help if there is burning while urinating and pat dry. It lasted for almost a week for me. I didn't do sitz bath, they never worked before and made thing worse so I wasn't about to try It again. I haven't tried to wear regular pants yet just yoga pants...even to church! YIKES I know. I hope some of this has helped. I was sooo nervous but I'm glad I did it. I've dealt with this for 3 years. Hopefully it's all behind me and you too in a week. Healing prayers and update when you can. I would like to know how things are going. Not many on here had a complete removal so most issues do aply. Take care 😊
    • Posted

Hello

I have no update because my surgery was cancelled. I will be rescheduling it in a few days.

• Posted

I am glad to hear that you're doing better how are you doing now ?
    • Posted

oh wow why was it cancelled mine is going to be next month the 18hopefully I don't chicken out I'm thinking about it since my sis haven't got infected since November that I was diagnosed but I am afraid it will
  • Posted

Shorty and samsummers, please update on ur gland removal.

Thank uuu

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.