Need some Reassurance

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram now for 1 month. 20mg for 1 week. 40mg for 3 weeks and now 30mg for 4days.

I have seen some improvement in my Anxiety and depression being down but I am still having just this funny feeling in my mind. Its like the first thing I do when I wake up is I start asking myself wait do I feel good again and the anxiety all comes back. I dont know if its the depersonalization/realization or if there is really something wrong with me other then anxiety. I can't stop thinking about it but its like I am not in the world and just a void on the earth. I can't think right and my mind is just numb. Even when I am having conversation with people I can act normal but my mind is still thinking do I feel better. Its the weirdest feeling and I can't describe it. I have had anxiety my entire life but I have never had this feeling. I feel like my anxiety and depression are under control but this feeling is something I will have to live with forever. It tends to go away when I am relaxed and not thinking about it but then I again question myself about how I feel and thinking that there must be something wrong and I dont know what normal feels like.

Do you think I should go back to my doctor and ask to switch meds or try something else. Should I give it a little more time and see? I had been on Citalopram for close to 7 years prior and came off cold turkey before all this happened. It worked the first time and I was great. I am lost and dont know what to do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have also done a lot of switching around on different doses of the meds. I felt great on the 20mg and thinking that might do the trick. Do you think I should wean back down to the 20mg since I felt great on that dosage.
  • Posted

Also I have been off them for close to 2 months after going cold turkey so maybe it will take that long to start feeling good again
  • Posted

Hi again

Yes it's part of the side effects again.  When you've been well on them you forget too easily what it's like not taking them and how you used to feel, forget what the side effects are like when restarting this medication.  I did exactly the same ...... restarted them after a years break and as soon as the anxiety and negative thoughts hit me, I couldn't see a way out or believe they'd work for me again.  I also felt like I was in a bubble and it could t quite connect to people or concentrate.  I'm ok now.

I suspect as soon as you're on a regular amount instead of switching up and down, it will all settle down.  Your body doesn't know whether it's coming or going at the moment.  It's all too easy to want to take a higher dose to hurry things along, but all you do is give yourself strong side effects, then when you reduce them you get more side effects.  If 20mg worked before for you, then it will again.  Unfortunately it's a cast of being patient and just accepting these strange feelings for now.  It will all settle soon.

Negative thoughts are a pain.  Just remember you're working towards getting better.  Try and accept everything at the moment and trust in the medication :-)

Youll soon be looking back on all this xxx

• Posted

case of being patient ...... not cast. Sorry for all the typos :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.