Need some reassurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

Kind of a long story: started drinking when I was 18 (I'm 28 now, female), nothing too serious, but binge drinking with friends and stuff. After a while I noticed when I would wake up with a hangover, I would get this bruise-like pain in my side. Kind of on the line to the right and slightly up of my belly button. It would feel a bit tender if I really pressed on it, but it always went away within a day or so. Over the years, it took longer to go away. A few days, a week. ONLY EVER brought on by a hangover.

?I'd like to stress that I am NOT a big drinker, especially for the last few years. I find that even if I only have one drink, it starts to trigger that side pain that lasts for days, weeks at this point. Occasionally it feels like I'm lying on something under my ribs when I'm sleeping but that comes and goes. But 5 weeks ago I had a rare big night out with friends (xmas party, got into the wine) and that pain hasn't gone away. It varies from tingling/burning to sometimes sharp spots in one area. There is one part that feels tender when I press on it, but I can't always feel it. And I'm getting bad right shoulder pain, along with a stich along my bottom right ribs whenever I run. Doctor said liver feels slightly enlarged (actually he said it feels "a bit thick"wink and sent me for blood tests and an ultrasound. Says it sounds like auto-immune hepatitis triggered by alcohol. The pain has definitely lessened in the last few weeks, but it has never lingered this long before.

?I don't know what to make of this. I have NO other symptoms (seriously, nothing. I'm not tired or nauseous, no vomiting, no changes in digestion or bathroom habits, not overweight. Plenty of energy, I exercise almost every day and eat very well). But I'm worried sick over this. I'm scared to go get the results of my tests. Does anyone have a similar story or anything reassuring to say?

?If you've read all the way to the end, thank you for hanging in there.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry l cant help but seems odd that gp should mention auto immune hepatitis as well as alcohol. I have autoimmune problems but dont drink hepatitis can be caused by alcohol so wondering why he/she should mention autoimmune unless you already have problems with your immune system.
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie,

My first words of advise if you want to save yourself, STOP DRINKING FOREVER. Your liver is damaged!  I'm afraid the liver biopsy would show cirrhosis. This comes from someone that has a very bad liver, not from drinking, never did it, but I got Hep C from a blood transfusion in '78.   Yes I'm an old guy now, 64.  :-)  I didn't find out about it until July 2013, all those yrs.  No Dr ever checked for hep C. My best advice, from someone that knows, cleanse your liver, and start juicing the green drink.  You can google all of this.  Look up Joe Cross on Dr Oz's show. And think about some really good supplements for your liver.  Best of health to to you and God bless.

You can do this Stephanie.  Don't put it off like I did, it's very serious.

Yours Truly;

Ace

Ace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.