need some reasurance

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all i'm 53 and 3yrs postmenopausal since june i started with health anxiety doctor prescibed sertraline which didnt suit me so he put me on propranolol 10mg 3 times daily and librium 5mg 2x daily seemed to cope on those but i kept thinking i had heart problems i have had 2 ecg's which was normal full blood count which was normal apart from my wbc which were slightly raised to 14 as this had been the case for 5yrs with wbc but doc not concerned today feel really lightheaded and scared it's my heart again would the ecg's i had 2 months ago pick up any problems or heart disease bloos pressure done last week which doc said was fine but the way i feel today is makeing me think he missed something any info would be appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ive had an open heart surgery and have had anxiety problems. In your case, it can be possible that it is something other than the heart. Maybe, some other organ might be causing the problem. Anxiety, for what I'm sure, certainly raises heart beat and causes profuse sweating and light-headedness in extreme cases. But get a check up done in a different hospital from a different doctor wouldn't hurt. it'll probably give you mental satisfaction and will rule out anything left.

Take care and stay healthy!

• Posted

thank you for your reply saaz i had a fbc and everything was ok apart from my wbc which doctor wasn't concerned but with my health anxiety with you saying it could be another organ has started to make me worry more, i'm eating fine no weight loss just this feeling something is wrong with me feeling like sence of doom doctor told me blood test would have picked something up if it was other than my heart

• Posted

I didn't mean to scare you! I'm sorry! Im an overthinker so i overdo it. you'll be okay.

• Posted

Drugs like Librium are very difficult to get off after you have been on them for a while.

• Posted

Hi Wendy

A heart problem would not have been missed don't worry. Your light headedness can be a caused by your anxiety. Propranol should help with this. I am not a gp but do not think you need any other meds apart from the beta blocker (propanol) that you are taking. Menopause does sometimes give you anxiety as your hormones are adjusting. Just have confidence that it will pass in time and know that since you've had checks, your heart is ok.

• Posted

he put me on the librium 2x daily to calm me down and ben on them for 3 months he said he will wean me off them when he feels i'm ready the hot flushes are worse than before and cannot take hrt as my aunty and cousin had breast cancer so he told me to take evening primrose oil which i started today i just want to be myself again

• Posted

Where you are feeling anxious, your heart may feel strange because the propronal is not allowing your heart to beat fast...thats its job. Maybe check with you doctor to see if you could reduce your dose down to one a day. To help yourself with anxiety the Bach flower remedy Rescue Remedy is good. You spray it in your mouth if feeling a panic coming on. You cannot overdose on it and you can take it with other meds safely. Also magnesium phosphate would help but you need to check that it is ok to take with librium. You have magnesium in your food so you would only be topping it up and it helps with anxiety. Try looking into alternatives to help your anxiety such as lavender oil. If you start to find other ways to help yourself it puts you back in control of your health and mentally that makes you feel a lot better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.