Need someone to talk to

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I was about 5 or so I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus. My genitals were very itchy and not thinking anything of it, I would itch. My mom eventually found out and I got a cream for it. I had the white spots and scarring too. I can't remember excatly when but eventually i stopped taking the cream & my doc said it was getting better. I'm 20 now and for me, sex has never been good. I don't get the burning or bleeding however, its just uncomfortable. It will really hurt at first for like 5 seconds or so but then theres no pleasure, just an uncomfortable feeling . I have no one to realate to or understand me & when my friends bring up their sex lives & how great it is, I get upset. Not to mention I hardly ever want to have sex because like i said, for me its not fun. I feel like its messed up realtionships in the past for me. Theres this guy now and once in a while I give in because I like him and I know he really likes sex. However, it never really ends well, he can sorta sometimes tell im not into it no matter how hard I try and say Iam and I just feel like it has a huge negative impact on us. I don't want to tell him what I have because I don't want him to look it up and think im gross or something. Right now theres still sometimes where it itches but I don't have the whiite spots. But idk what else to do. So I found this website for two reasons. For one, it would just feel great to talk to someone who understands just how I feel, my second reason is I was wondering if anyone knows if theres anything I can take or do to help this problem so I can enjoy sex? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Kayla, I'm replying because I'm one of the rare old ladies on here who has had LS her whole life. So I know exactly what you're talking about. I was an itchy little girl and an itchy teenager. But back in the fifties and sixties, touching yourself down there was considered 'dirty' by nice church ladies like my mother. So, I was told to keep my hands outside the bed covers when I was little. When I was a teen and had my fingers down there I had to explain to myself that I was just 'cleaning' myself. I certainly wasn't masturbating, because I don't remember having any sexy feelings coming from my genitals. I had it from my breasts, that's all. When my first boyfriend petted me I seemed to engage in a way that makes me thing I was aroused, but I never had an orgasm that way. The next guy became my first husband and I quickly discovered that I needed a huge amount of friction (me on top) to have an orgasm, but then not only did I sting and tear afterward, but even he got so sore he soon reduced our sex life to about every two weeks. I had no experience to compare, but I think he found my 'style' sort of wearing.

My next husband was excellent at ignoring how I felt and was super demanding (maybe even a sex addict by today's standards). So I had all sorts of discomfort, yeast infections and gradually a general dread of sex. We were mostly celibate for the last eight years of your fifteen-year marriage. We did, however manage have two children – best thing in my life. Apparently LS goes into remission when you're pregnant.

After him I was aware that my clitoral hood had partially fused over my clitoris – I thought just from disuse, because no doctor had yet diagnosed me. I wasn't in the (excellent!) habit of using a mirror, but I must have looked once. (I was amost 40 by now.) The fusing seemed to open up again when I started to have sex and I had fantastic, multi-orgasmic sex through my forties. Lots of yeast infections, but I thought that was normal. The best thing that ever happened in my sex like was hearing a public radio broadcast by a sex therapist woman who taught us how to 'squirt' fluid. After that, lubrication was never an issue and I knew how to be aroused, so I wasn't just along for the ride. I heartily recommend you look into that if it's news to you.

Once my boys were teens I was really forceful about telling them never have sex unless you both really want it.

You're young, Kayla. And you're smart enough to be here. You really should see a gynecologist. Even better see if there's a vulvar clinic near you. There are many possibilities at your age and stage and you should take advantage of them. There's one young woman on a thread here somewhere who has a bunch of doctors helping her. Another who joined a sex therapy group where they discovered the many uses of sex toys in keeping their vaginas elastic.

Doctors sometimes brush post-menopausal women like me as having an 'old lady problem', but I think you'll find you'll be taken very seriously.

There are some definitely things you can do to enjoy sex, including even surgery if your problem is a fused clitoris.

I hope some of the younger women here will speak up. Do hang around. There's a wonderful community of women of all ages here. Glad you came!

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying to me and sharing your story! I always knew other people had LS and i wasn't alone but I never was able to actually talk to someone who knows literally how I feel. And other than my parents no one, not even my best friend knows about it. So being able to hear your story has alreadly made me feel a little bit better. I think I'm going to go to my gynecologist to see what she has to say and let her know what is going on. I've recently looked in the mirror to see if there was any white spots, I couldnt really tell though.  I'm sure I still have the scarring from itching so much as a child. As for any sort of pleasure, the only thing so far I found that I actually get a good feeling is if my partner rubs my clitoris, but thats it. Even being fingered doesn't get me off. Just that, my breasts and other small stuff.  ( neck kissing, biting etc ) I just hope I can find something so I can fully enjoy sex. Without a doubt I will look into what you said about the radio broadcast, and go talk to my doc. Thank you again for the help!  
    • Posted

Glad to have provided some relief, Kayla. In a relationship sex can take time, even years, to get great as you get to know each other. The ten-year relationship I had in my forties started off sort of awkward. It was after four or five years that it got great. The fact that your clitoris is working is excellent news. If your vaginal introitus is reduced in size from LS, there are therapies for that.

The white patches aren't so much bad in themselves, it's that if they're in a bad spot they're sort of weak, 'cheap' skin and the skin can tear easily. That's when LS hurts.

Anyway I'm glad you're planning to gee your gynae. You need to have an ongoing relationship with her/him. I've had major lows and long periods of remission. I only wish I'd been diagnosed as early as you!

Look through the other threads here. There's lots of good info. I hope you're moisturising with an oily cream, wearing cotton panties and loose pants, washing with either plain water or something like Hydromol. NO SOAP! Who knows where I'd be if I'd known those few things.

Good luck with the doctor. Stay in touch with us.

• Posted

So much relief! haha. Just finally being able to talk to other people and knowing that theres many things I can do to improve my sex life and hearing peoples stories to know its true. I will without a doubt keep in touch once theres more to share! 

As for the moisturing with an oliy cream what do you suggest? For washing I use vagisil or just warm water! 

• Posted

The surest, easiest thing is organic coconut oil from the health food store. It's stiff like shortening. Expensive as food prices go, but very cheap as cosmetics go. Lots of women on here have mentioned it. I have two friends who make herbal creams, so I have unique products that work great, but mostly it's havng an oily barrier to keep the flesh from drying, so it can heal. If urine stings you, some women keep a little jar in their purse and apply it before peeing. One mentioned putting a little on her toilet paper. And we have a whole thread on using the cheapest unbleached (chemical-free) toilet paper, if you can find it. I find the eco stuff is like that.
  • Posted

Kayla, I just had a thought – you might even get good news. A lot of little girls never have LS again after puberty. I wonder if maybe you've been assuming LS is lifelong and that it will impair your sex life. Worrying is all it takes to put a damper on it!
  • Posted

Hi Kayla,

use lots of moisturiser and if you have the courage, talk to your gp.  There are products to make things less uncomfortable and if your boyfriend really cares for you, it may be worth giving him an idea of what you are going through.  Really keeping my fingers crossed for you. Xxx

• Posted

Thank you! What moisturisers do you use? I will definitely talk to my gynae soon! The guy I talked about before, well its complicated. Theres love there, we met about 8 years ago. He moved a few hours away but we never stopped talking and see each other as much as we can. So we are not actually together though, thats the main reason I haven't told him. But thank you again for the support, it really means a lot to me. 
    • Posted

Hi Kayla,

you  could always start the conversation carefully by saying you have skin problems and sometimes these get really bad and in awkward places.  Let him dwell on that and then, when you feel confident, tell him more.  He will probably amaze you, as did my husband, who couldn't be more supportive.  Emu oil is a truly great moisturiser and I started with that's begin with.  I am a lot older than you and have bladder problems, so use a barrier cream as URINE is enemy no. 1!!  Along with sugar and all things sweet.  I used to eat at least 2 oranges a day.  Now just a glass of juice will start an immediate flare-up.  Wine is a no-no too!!!

• Posted

Kayla,  So sorry to read your story.  I have a similar story and thought I would never have a good sex life.  The key to your success is that you have been diagnosed.  I went till my 50's before I was diagnosed.  I used to talk to my husband quite openly about any problems I had and I must admit that this problem does sometimes seem to go into remission allowing some heavenly sexual activity at times.  I have a lovely daughter to prove it.  My husband has been so supportive and my only advice to you is to be honest and talk about things at some point.  Not in early days maybe when you are not sure of the relationship but maybe later when you are thinking of a more permanent one.  To not discuss this problem is storing things up for the future which could be really nasty.  There are things that can be done to help you have a better sex life.  You have to speak to your GP or whichever medical professional you are seeing.  There is a way to have a sexual relationship with the right guy.  Good luck
    • Posted

Thats so awesome to hear that your husband is supportive! I really hope I find that one day with my future husband and I'm sure I will. Not discussing is reallly hard because my past boyfriends would want to have sex and I hardly would and I could never find reasons why, other than period week. I've never told an ex because I was scared they would look it up and see the really bad conditions of it and break up with me or something. If you read my other replies the guy that goes back 8 years means so much to me, the only reason we date other people is because the distance is too much and although we see eachother as much as we can, its not enough. I mainly went to look for a website like this so i could improve my sex life with him because I feel like its really hurting us and I don't want to lose him and at the same time I don't want to tell him. I just want to get the help I need and hopefully it works. I plan to see my GP asap and let you all know how that goes. Thank you for sharing your story with me and giving me advice!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.