Need support

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on day 43 of 20mg. I was feeling a tad better, as in I felt kinda numb but not as anxious. Now I suddenly feel about 20 times worse. I keep shaking and twitching, i can feel adreniline rushing around, my head feels like its stuffed and pressure (possibly due to muggy weather), my sleep is worse and my thoughts are paranoid, bad or just plain weird/hard to control. My heart keeps racing and I have no motivation to get out of bed or do anything, when before I could atleast force myself to do something and my appetite is gone. I keep wanting to cry or feel like I'm gonna panic/lose it/get frustrated but the tablets make me so numb it's difficult. The dr told me it was normal and to stay on them and I can either up my dose or change to a different type of pills alltogether but both options scare me. I just want to be happy again but I don't see a way out. Everything looks weird, feels confusing and just scary.

I have uni exams at the moment, 2 left but I feel like I don't care about them but I wasn't too bad up until a few days before the first one. I do have a bit to worry about but I feel stressed and anxious as if there is nothing to be stressed about, if that makes sense.

The dr said the extra stress of exams isn't helping and to stay on my current dose until after exams. Is this all normal? Could it be exams stressing me out even when I feel so careless about them? I keep getting scared I'm seriously ill when I know I'm not. It just helps to have reassurance that all my symptoms are normal.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think its quite normal for the road to recovery to be very up and down on fluoxetine for the first 8-10 weeks.Your symtoms sound familiar to myself and most people on here, obviously your uni exams are adding a bit of pressure at the moment. I know I felt I was never going to get better but then at about 8 weeks things started to fall into place, I don't think I'd increase dose or change meds yet. Stick with it you will get there smile xx
  • Posted

Hi Rumur, I'm on day 38 of 20mg and am going through all of the exact same things. Was feeling ok, sort of numb but clearer somehow. Now I'm anxious and having so much trouble controlling my negative thoughts. I was wondering if I was adjusting to the meds and so maybe needed to increase but I was assured by other people in this forum that this is the 'worse before it gets better' part of Prozac that everyone talks about. I'm going to ride it out for another couple of weeks to see if I stabilise again before going back to the GP to discuss increasing to 40mg. Good luck Rumur. I'll be thinking of you as we ride this train together X
  • Posted

Thank you both! It just helps a lot to hear it's all normal. I mean, its awful but knowing it's kind of supposed to happen helps.
  • Posted

Hi

Yes this is quite normal.  As you recover you can start to feel better and then suddenly be hit with more anxiety etc.  These are called setbacks (blips) and it will disappear again.  Try and accept them as part of recovery, and yes it can be the extra stress of having exams.  We can't avoid normal life, but your body is overreacting at the moment, where as normally you'd probably feel just a bit stressed and nothing else.  Don't change anything, carry on with your life as best you can, let the feeling be there (it'll want to stick around anyway), and you'll find that in time you'll begin to feel calm again. 

These blips will come and go for a while, but they'll get less intense as time goes by until they finally stop.

K x

• Posted

Hi ! I don't know if this will help.But the same happened to me.I am on week 9 now , and starting to feel a little better. They all say you have to get worse to get better. I am on 20ml flox also. Not took any higher dose , listened to what everyone else was saying, it is hard , but it is working. Persivre, you know you can do this 😆
  • Posted

Thank you. It just feels so weird and is hard to explain. I can't concentrate even more than usual and everything just seems off and weird. I dunno what I want to do, I want to be alone then I don't want to be. I just feel on edge and scared most of the time.
    • Posted

Hi

What you are going through is normal, I remember going through that, I remember one night I just couldn't settle and by settle I mean stop, I walked back and forth in my flat for about 6 hours, every time I stopped I wanted to cry and was shaking and everything, didn't want to be in my own skin! This feeling starts to subside, but you will get the odd wobble as I call them, I've been on the tablets since Jan and had a wobble Tuesday, but I now know how to deal with it and that it will pass. Are you seeing a therapist? One of the best things I did! Helped to just talk to someone who understood and didn't judge me!

Good luck, you will start to trust yourself again I promise! And you will come out the other side!

K

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean Rumur! I can't tell you how much comfort reading all these comments have been for me too. God luck with everything!
  • Posted

It helps so much to read all of these posts. Its so helpful knowing others have come out the other side!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.