Need support and advice had band 10 days

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been reading your posts and decided to join you all seem a helpful and friendly bunch.....only a handful of family know I have had a band so, so wondered if I can get some support and and advice .....I have had the band 10 days no regrets what so ever but at the moment  I feel such a wuss ....1... I am still in pain across the top of my stomach especially when getting up out of the chair or bed  is this normal  doctor gave me a stronger dissolvable codeine / paracetamol ...2..... Nurse said I have to sleep sitting up for 2 week after op I'm doing it but sleep deprivation setting in .....3.... No appetite at all making myself or forcing myself a milkshake down plus liquids so in turn this is making me feel light headed and jittery ......4..... Due back at work in 4 days but feel too weak is 3 week too long to have off work I'm going for little walks and pottering in house definatly not just sat about just need a bit of reassurance with all these please ,,,,,, by the way reading the post back I'm not normally like this I think it's affecting me mentally as well as physical lol thanks ANYONE who will listen x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya i am suffering same too i had the bypass on saturday i am in agony my throat hurts i cant walk far cos i ache too much my back is hurtin from sleeping in same position and my stomach is in agony wen i try move, i have no appetite at all im just drinking milk and water, the trapped air is painfull xx
  • Posted

i thought it would never end but it does!  I had 2 weeks off but still got the pain standing up and sitting down.  Think the more you move the quicker you recover.  Once I got back to work I found it a bit easier sitting up and down as my chair is higher than my couch at home.  Know the feeling about not eating but you have to make yourself have a shake - or drink (sip) some cups of milk to get some goodness into you.  I also got a supply of actimel drinks in which I mixed with milk and drank.  That worked a treat!  I then gradually started making my own soups I wizzed to a thin consistancy which kept me occupied and I enjoyed the taste!  You will get there xx  My oldest child knows and my husband and my sisters but no one oh hubbys side no work colleagues know etc It takes time but it does get better x  

• Posted

It took me a good 3 or 4 weeks to fully recover, after 2 weeks I was fine with the odd twinge when getting up etc but generally much better! 

I wasn't advised anything about how to sleep, so I slept propped up for the first week or so and then when comfortable I could sleep on my right side as less incisions! I did prop a pillow between tummy and bed as it felt quite pressurised! 

For me appettite regained fully after 3-4 weeks! Keep your protein up as this will make you feel better. Try and vary your liquids as much as you can! Which is hard I know! 

What do you do for work? If your not ready to go back then speak to your gp, it is a big thing we have gone through so don't forget that! Is there an option of going back for mornings only for a week? I'm a dental nurse in a hospital and it's non stop at work, I was dreading going back and it was tiring for the first few days, but I think if I didn't go back when I did then I wouldn't of ever gone back! 

I know what you mean about the mental affects, I'm normally a 'tough cookie' and put on a brave face all the time, I was reading my posts back and I thought of my goodness I was a wimp and complained a bit on here, but it's because others who haven't gone through it don't really understand and like you I have hardly told anyone! 

But you can ask for help on here about our experiences etc! This forum really got me through a lot on here, it is a big deal what we have had done but it will be so worth it! I had my band on 24th October and it feels like I've had it forever! I have my second fill next Friday!

How much do you want to lose? X

• Posted

Aww thanks ......about 6 stone to lose I know what you mean about going to work its an office job but a lot of up and downs on and off high ish chairs up and down stairs it's more moving about than sitting down just want to be nearly there before I go back. I am a bit shakey/ jittery at the moment think that's because I am hardly eating so dont want to start back at work on my last day of liquids and still be jittery ...and yeah normally a strong person but wow this week really showed me how not as strong as I thought in situations like this thanks for your advice 
    • Posted

That's ok, you will get there!

Speak to your nurse/gp as to having more time off if you think you need it. Don't go back before your ready.

As for food in week 3 I was allowed like fish pie and shepherds pie that sort of thing xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.