Need support here

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm struggling with severe ptsd and also depression, feelings of low self worth.... it feels like a roller coaster that makes just daily living a battle I have to get through... I really feel sad for myself to have to go thru this, is a result mostly of a very abusive relationship I was in several years. Can others here on the ptsd support forum join in to tell me what helped you and what kind of things can help ease my suffering? The main things I struggle with are getting triggered to remember things he said or did and how I felt, sometimes I have flashbacks where I start to be in the memory of a time he was being abusive and my body reacts by breathing rapidly, sweating heart racing and feeling despair. The other thing that has a huge impact on me is feelings of low self worth- it's triggered a lot of times when I remember things he would tell me to put me down or make me feel inadequate, unattractive etc. I try to do some self care, some exercise, try to remember to breathe etc. I have to avoid driving by certain areas and also avoid certain places where he and I went to a lot-- a couple of those places could be positive but I just can't go - way too triggering. In a way I think the feelings of worthlessness and how he made me feel bad about myself - like he told me no other man would want me , and the reasons why I'm so defective etc- those feelings of low self worth are maybe even worse or more painful or damaging than the flashbacks and other stuff because they're always there, wherever I go somewhere in back of my mind I have it in my mind that I'm clumsy, dumb, kind of dumpy looking, and like he said "no man would be able to put up with me, that I'm depressed and have anxiety" he would flirt with other girls in front of me semi regular although he wanted to be with me and when I tried to break it off he wouldn't let me. Anyways back to my question I came here hoping to get at least several replies for how to help w my ptsd and how to overcome feeling like I'm unwanted unattractive etc the things he always tried to put on me??? Thanks in advance for support

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,  I remember Being like you after getting help after being raped twice.  I insisted on  help and saw rape crisis.  That was almost a year back,  I need more support as I'm still struggling.  You are stronger the people who hurt you

The greatest tool for flashbacks was grounding techniques,   on a  self-help website called get me self help.  It will get you set of coping strategies for PTSD specifically.  They are still very useful.  Let me know if you find them and if they help,  better than any tablets. 

• Posted

Thank you will look into it,... hmm I posted this ten hours ago almost and only one reply.... is this just not very active of a board , I thought ptsd forum would receive at least several replies by now... ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.