Posted , 4 users are following.
Okey, I'm turning 65 this week on Friday. My nephrology gist has also made it clear that I could find myself on dialysis fairly suddenly any time now.
So I've been looking at insurance and thinking about how I'm going to pay for dialysis. Key points:
1. I am still working as a university professor. I plan to work for another 6-8 years.
2. I receive health insurance from my job. I'm on Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Kansas, Plan C (This is a high deductible plan with a health savings account.)
3. It's my understanding that Medicare will serve as the secondary insurance (after my work insurance has paid what it will toward dialysis) for the first 30 months I'm on dialysis. Then roles reverse with Medicare being the primary insurer with my work insurance picking up the remainder of it is eligible for coverage.
4. Once I retire Medicare will only cover 80% of the cost of dialysis. I will be responsible for the remaining 20%, which could be between $20,000 and $30,000 a year.
5. A supplemental insurance policy may pick plus much of the remaining 20%--like a medigap policy; however, the medigap providers do not have to offer coverage if it is outside the open enrollment time period.
So my questions:
1. Would open enrollment for the medigap policy happen at the time I initially enroll in Medicare Part B when I am initially placed on dialysis?
2. If so, am I further ahead to enroll in both Medicare Part B AND a medigap policy as soon as I know I will be placed in dialysis to ensure that I'll have medigap coverage at a reasonable price? (This would negate the need for my work policy/benefit.)
Basically, I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you may have. I'd also appreciate contact people and phone numbers I can use to get some accurate and quality information about all of this.
Thanks soooo much!!
2 likes, 8 replies