Need to come off Bisoprolol quickly.

Posted , 9 users are following.

The NHS in the UK is a bit rubbish- My doctor did all sorts of blood tests and a 'quick' ecg one morning to tell me that my heart palpitations and my chest pain was 'all in your head' because my blood results, my heart reading and my blood pressure were 'fine'... but put me on Bisoprolol anyway just 'to give you peace of mind' he got me schedualed however for a 7day ECG the only problem is the NHS have given me the date of the start as the 19th of july. Because the other doctor thinks it 'could be something else but we dont know yet' There seems to be a communication conflict between doctors!

I'm 29, female and I do suffer with social anxiety and its only increased by my health (i had depression a few years ago) He told me to come off the biosoprolol 2.50 mg completly 3 or 4 days before my ecg or it'll mess it up. But I tried to do what the pharmacist told me and half the pill and then take that for a week and then take half of a half for another week and then stop completly and it made me feel awful again within a day of half a pill, i felt worse than when i went on it. (i've only been on it for two weeks at the full dose so far) Even the pharmacist was surprised he'd even put me on it just 'to get you to july' given that she said you can't just stop it instantly.

I was also told by the doc they give this pill to people who suffer stage fright so it's harmless, but that's not what i've heard from other people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I cant reschedule that 7 day ecg the NHS wont let me. I'm scared I'll end up with a real heart attack if I stop this drug and my anxiety support (my mum) is currently on vacation in another country so I'm on my own.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Firstly I am sorry to hear that you are going through this.

bisoprolol is not a drug to be taken lightly and I cant believe your doctors said its harmless and sometimes used for stage fright! Its nothing of the sort its a serious drug in most cases that works on heart function. Also it shouldn't be stopped abruptly.

i have been on 10mg for two years after a heart attack! its been a living hell

• Posted

ok. As a Registered nurse I can tell you that your descriptions are very good and easily help diagnosis. The main feature is your anxiety issues that have then triggered palpitations. Palpitations are very different to atrial fibrillation.

• you're an anxious person who has a good mum to support you.
    • your mum goes away on holiday which will increase your anxiety a little bit
    • you drink a bottle of coke which is high in caffeine
    • the caffeine gives you palpitations and this makes you very anxious
    • increased anxiety causes the palpitations to persist through the night and it just gets worse - this is a panic attack.Frightening but not at all dangerous. (I know, I've had one)
    • your GPs advice is exactly right
    • he puts you on a beta blocker, the best thing he could do for you, he should also have told you not to drink coke, or tea or coffee unless its decaffeinated
    • beta blockers slow down the heart rate and also have a calming effect on the mind (some students have them prescribed when they're anxious about exams)
    • the GP refers you for an ECG but tells you its likely to be normal. He sounds like a good GP.
    • Now you're having to wait fir the ECG because it's known that you're not in danger at all so waiting isn't a problem
    • now you're getting even more anxious because you have to wait and you're convincing yourself that you may have a heart attack

You need to try to relax and calm down. You're making yourself ill. Not physically ill, but mentally ill. As you've had anxiety problems for some time and suffered from depression, have you been taught relaxation techniques? Do you have relaxing music that you can listen to while laying down, eyes closed and just concentrate on slow breathing in and out. Do that whenever you feel stressed and also to help you sleep. While you're awake, keep busy and try to forget about the ECG. It's not an issue. You don't really need it because your history is clear. Your GP has only requested it because it's a medical protocol that they follow.

So, calm down.

Keep busy.

Take the bisoprolol as advised by the pharmacist

You're fine and your mum will be home before you know it.

• Posted

bisoprolol is an awful drug to come off . many take several months to get off really slowly indeed. you need to treat your anxiety yourself at home. make time everyday . anxiety and heart issues are difficult as one feeds into the other . you need to relax everyday and try to stop the adrenaline surges that will send your heart into palpitations which will in turn make you anxious and more adrenaline will be produced and so on . get it under control asap. it may take a few days of calm for things to settle down . i personally use exercise to burn off the adrenaline everyday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.