Need to connect with victims of taste disturbance from Lamasil in May, 2017

Posted , 16 users are following.

Some time has passed on this thread since anyone has reported their situation with taste loss from taking Lamasil 250. I would like to hear others' experiences.  I'm 57 years old and took Lamsil for five weeks before noticing a several taste alteration to almost all food and liquids.  I quit the medication instantly.  I think I recognized the issue quickly because I'm a cancer survivor who has also experienced metalic mouth from four rounds of chemotherapy.  This experience of taste loss has scared me much more than the metallic mouth that developed from chemotherapy because I recovered quickly (after each round) from that taste disturbance.  I'm headed into my fourth week, after quitting the medication, April 23, 2017.   I've noticed a few improvements such as being able to taste Italian soda (blood orange), carbonated wine, hamburger, fried chicken, a flavorful ham/bean/vege/ soups, Chocolate Boost, bacon and egg (with a lot of salt).  I can also taste some vege/fruit smoothies from the local Juice Bar and a hint of strawberry or cocoa in the chocolate/banana shakes I make at home. But overall, I have a long way to go, as I can't taste bread, sandwich meats, crackers, peanut butter, cheese, some raw veges/fruits, potatoes/pasta or anything sweet. And in the past week or so, I've developed alternating mouth tastes of hot and citrus or salty.  It's very annoying. I've tried Biotene and hard candy but it's a constant distraction. And finding food I can taste is equally challenging. 

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I feel lucky in a way. The strong bitter, metallic, sour taste appeared after only 3 days on Lamasil 250. It took me 2 days to figure out it was the medicine and i stopped today after 5 days. I haven't lost my taste and hopefully I won't because i stopped so quickly, but food tastes awful and different. Also, when I lick my lips it's like a metallic burning sensation. I just thought I would jump in and mention how fast the symptoms came on... even though this is an old thread. Curious how long this will last.

thanks

• Posted

hi I would like to connect to people who have had taste disturbances due to lamisil. I took it for 4 weeks and then suddenly 4 days ago, I have severe taste disturbance. Can anyone offer any advice? I am 45 years old. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me!

• Edited

hello,

I suffered this 2 years ago...its horrible..but it will go away and your taste will be fine..fir me it took up to three months..after 8 weeks I started to taste something again..mostly salty and spiced food...after 13 weeks I was able to taste sweet as well..that took the longest time to come back.

And keep trying to eat !!! very important!

• Posted

I am a 57 year old who lost my taste due to terbinafine. Is there anyone else who has had this happen to them? I'd really like to hear from you. I lost my taste at exactly 30 days on the med. I'm praying it comes back! Please let me hear from you!

• Posted

I loss my taste on day 36 and quit medication immediately it has only been 4 days since i stopped. I am starving but everything i put in my mouth is so disgusting that i want to throw up. I have already loss 4 lbs, i am grumpy and so discouraged, from everything i am reading i have a long road ahead of me. I can not believe that my doctor did not know or think this side effect was a big deal. This is hell not being able to taste food and the nasty taste of anything i put in my mouth. What is the first thing anyone could taste? and how long before you could taste anything at all?

• Posted

That is all types of protein and carbohydrates gone. You might need to try another medication. I think the issue may pass over time.

• Edited

I also have lost my taste as of Tuesday, March 16th, on the first day of my 6th week on Terabinafine/Lamisil. I am FREAKING out because online, the many reports of this NOT rare side effect show that taste doesn't return for months, year+ or NEVER! This medication should be pulled off the market for Toe Nail Fungus treatment and used only when the side effects are less than the ailment. I am now almost one week in with only some ability to taste salt, a little sweet but I now know it takes all the senses to make anything taste good.

A glass of water tastes like soapy bath water - coffee is unbearable - nothing tastes good and the depression is real - taste is far more important than it sounds. Kellie-Long Beach, CA

Aurobindo Pharma USA and Aurobindo Pharma Limited, Hyderbad India is the maker of the Terabinafine I took. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICATION.

• Posted

I too started this medication starting March 5 and took it for 31 days. I went back to my doctor explaining symptoms of tingling tongue and mouth discomfort, like my mouth feels swollen and like it is stretching. She said i should continue. ...

That was on Wednesday (March 31) by Easter Sunday (April 4) everything was bland and I finally realized when I couldn't taste the dessert I had made that there was something horribly wrong! Everything tasted salty even my sweet dessert!

I hope that my taste will come back. I am devastated. This my fourth day off the medication and I still cannot taste properly. Even drinking water taste like metal then a salty after taste. I would love to hear from the others on this feed from 3 years ago to know their progress.

• Posted

Kelly, I am in Lakewood CA, I am only on day 4 of being off medication, this is some nasty stuff. i am depressed and so hungry but i cant get anything hardly down, i force myself to eat a few bites but then i just want to throw up.. so tired of this and it looks like we have a really long road ahead of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.