Need to get my friend into detox

Posted , 5 users are following.

I myself an addict have done countless detoxes and 6 residential rehabs. Without sounding like a snob I've always payed privately and stayed at the priory or similar, I now believe that is why it took me 6 rebabs as it was like a hotel. My last rehab was awful up early doing jobs, cooking etc but It's done me a whole lot better as I was mixing with "real" addicts. Don't get me wrong but I've met a few people in private luxury rehabs who I think don't have a clue, anyway my last rehab I connected with a guy who used and was moved to a different rehab but same company. He's been using crack and gear and living with a girl I know from years ago. She's mad on the crack as her boyfriend deals. Was really proud of him this week as he moved out to stop the crack. He needs a detox. He's saying he can do it at his mates with loads of subbies and diazepam. He really wants it he said. My dilemma... then I'll shut up. Shall I guide him down the right path of seeing nhs or local services where you have to prove yourself before they will get you to a detox or shall I just pay? I don't mind paying but should he have to prove that he really wants it?? Also and detox recommendations would be great. He's done lots of jail so basic and harsh!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well despite the disclaimer..i am not getting any snob vibes from you.

You just sound concerned and fairly experienced.

At the risk of sounding snobby myself (I am a former user as well as one of the founders of the Canadian Drug Court system and an addiction counsellor of 20 years.)

I may not be able to help you with finding a detox and rehab that I know personally in  (insert your country here) but i have a bunch of suggestions for you if you are interested. LMK if this thread is active before i 

launch into my list of ideas.

i'll answers PM's as well.

No matter how this pans out ( and it rarely works out well without the addicts desparate commitment to attend rehab of THEIR OWN volition as you undoubtably are aware)

The second worst plan (with  conttinuing to use being the first) is what your friend has decided to do. It will be a bandaid at best .

He is however, lucky to have a concerned friend like you.

Hope it works out or I can be of some asssitance,

LMK

reg

• Posted

From someone whose done 2 NHS detoxes and now doing a home detox under inclusion which has been my worst guide him to the NHS services if his committed he will get the help get proper medication and 6months later be in a detox don't make it easy not being harsh if you have to go the NHS route it's hard but will be worth it x

• Posted

I am from the States, what is NHS Services? Is it medical coverage for no/low income residents?
  • Posted

Sorry, but he needs the rehab where you worked your poor fingers to the bone, not a hotel stay!! And as far as a detox goes, you do realize that cocaine addiction has no physical withdrawl, right? If he is still using H then he needs detox. I dont know how you do things over there but here in the U.S. we are having a major issue with opiate addiction. People are dying by the hundreds every week and there are these "rehabs" being advertised all over the place but are only 30 day stays. My last trip was 5 1/2 months!! He needs to go where this affliction is taken seriously and he needs to do this on his own. You will be, in a way, enabling him. Its one thing to be there for someone, to help them through these tough times but not in the beginning. Thats why there is a period of time when you first get there, that you cant have ANY contact with the outside world, none, until you are stable. So,  do not be taken in by his "wants" Yea, he WANTS to go to a cushy 30/60/90 day rehab. But it sounds like he NEEDS to go to a place where people go that cant afford to pay. Just a small note, I have been clean for 8 years (February 17th was my official 8th year) Have been to residential treatment 2 times and outpatient treatment 3 times. Had any of them worked? Did I stay sober after? No. BUT I did take with me a lot of knowledge that i still use to this day. The only way I have been sober for so long is medical methadone maintenance, period. I also quit all other drugs and even stopped drinking alcohol! I say this because this may be an option for your guy. Any questions? Just hit me up. He will quit when he wants to, not when he HAS to. That is a huge difference. Peace.

• Posted

Sorry the NHS is in England where you can get free detoxes and rehab but go on a waiting list the service is shocking I've just done my 3rd detox after stupidly getting prescribed subutex for a codeine addiction the aftercare is 0. You sound a good friend so if you love em help them ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.