Need to know positive outcomes!

Posted , 5 users are following.

8/14/17 I'm almost 2 weeks out from my Achilles tendon rupture surgery. Time is Slow and BORING! Any advice on how anyone has filled time I'm also having surgery on my other tendon next cause that's ruptured at 80% just need to hear some good stuff. Anything will help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow! You sound like me. Had right Achilles' tendon repair 22.6.17. Now in moonboot. Have a partial thickness tear to left achilles...just hoping that will hold out while I get over my right Achilles injury. Am hoping to return to work on light duties when they can find me 4hrs a day to start with. I'm an ICU nurse so no chance of looking after patients for a while! I sew and bake to amuse myself...just need to pace myself and take boot off to elevate it occasionally! 

• Posted

Hi, not sure I'm understanding this, but you had surgery on one achilles 2 weeks ago and are now awaiting surgery for your other achilles that is also ruptured?! If this is correct, how did this happen?

• Posted

Get caught up on reading, movies, tv shows, take an online course, organize any work or personal business you can do online, encourage friends and fam to phone and visit as often as possible! Get a dog if you don't have one lol! My German Shepherd has been by my side since my rupture 6 weeks ago. My daugher refers to him as Nurse Degen (and luckily my husband takes him for all his walks now, so that requirement is looked after!)

Most of all focus on patience and positive thinking!

• Posted

Netflix and chill!  biggrin  Once I was more mobile and using the knee scooter I went to the gym and lifted weights while sitting on a bench.  Bicep curls, shoulder press, triceps curls behind head, chest press etc.  
  • Posted

Hello, 

I had surgery on May 15th, for fully ruptured achilles. Definitely the 1st two weeks are aggravation and the worst part. Being immobile is really tough.

My physio and recovery was very aggressive. I was weight bearing (in moon boot after 2 weeks) and was allowed on stationary bike by week 3.5. I had to drive in moon boot by week 3.5 and getting independent also helped a lot.

I did a lot of leg exercise in the gym. By week 4 was encouraged to get in aerobics pool. Spent an hour a day in the pool every day for at least 3 weeks.   By week 8 I was able to cycle easily and started work on elliptical stepper machine. Average gym session is 35 minutes on stationary bike, 15 minutes elliptical stepper, and then a weight circuit downstairs (that takes about 20 minutes). 

I am now 13 weeks post surgery and I feel almost recovered. No pain, no swelling, no after effects from injury.

I do everything that I did before getting injured, except play active sport. I plan on getting down to tennis club on Sunday and maybe serving and hitting a few balls. Absolutely no running after anything yet. Still need to get more strength into my calf.

3 Things helped me a lot ;

1) Get weight bearing in boot as soon as possible.

2) Get in the pool - walk, stand on injured leg, gently kick

3) DO exercise where you keep your achilles in a neutral position (bike and stepping physio)

4) Stick at it and keep going, it gets easier and easier after a few weeks !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.