Need to move and can’t pack

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have lived in the same house for 18 1/2 years and am losing it in a short sale, so no money coming back to me. The short of how this happened is that my family has moved on in different directions and the mortgage payments stopped being paid. Anyway, my point is the fear I have about moving. I’m not able to even pack up my personal belongings because it takes all my energy just to live and take care of myself, let alone anything extra. I’m 70 years old and am living in a big house alone that used to be full of life, my daughter’s whole family. I also have COPD making it difficult to get around with an oxygen tube getting caught on everything slowing me down further. I can’t find any organizations to help a senior without capital and on low income. How am I supposed to do this?  Others must have had similar experiences. How have they handled their mandatory moves?  What if I was having to go to a rest home with no family members nearby?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Judy

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Can your family not step in and help and support you over this difficult time?

Best wishes, Richard

• Posted

Are you in the UK? Age Concern usually has volunteers who could help with this. If you are downsizing, there may be some Christian charities who will come and take your surplus furniture etc in exchange for helping out. Also, have you tried asking the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), they might be able to point you in the direction of some help/support. If you are elsewhere in the world I don't know enough about charities that may help.

• Posted

Oh Judy try charities like Salvation Army , or speak to social services , someone must be able to help , good luck 💋

• Posted

Have you tried reaching out to a church? If you don't have one, call one that is local to you. The one I attend helps people whether they are members or not. As another member suggested, call Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, or other charities that take donations. I did that when I downsized. They took a lot of my furniture and household goods. 

Im sorry you are going through this.I hope that your family is willing to help you.

Jackie

• Posted

Oh Judy I am so sad to hear this! Well Lesley and Jackie have some very good suggestions. I am in Australia and I know there are wonderful organisations and people here who help out. I think you need to make a little ‘noise’ with that family of yours sweetie! My mom did not take neglect from her children in any way. Sometimes we need to speak up or even Shout a little. Where is the mutual support that you gave your kids when they were growing up?! I am quite outraged at their callousness! What is happening to the generation?! Please sweetie, get on the phone and call around. You will get the help you need, I am positive. Let us know please, how you go Judy. Maggie xx
  • Posted

Judy I wish there was someway I could help you. I’m all alone since my husband passed away. That’s why am moving to Mississippi to be Bama grandchildren. I am very scared and worried about the move also. I’m originally from the south  but for the last 25 years my husband and I have only vacationed down there. Would you mind saying where you live. I know how is to be worried and afraid and alone. I have had panic attacks since my husband passed away. I spend a lot of time in prayer And I talk to my pastor and his wife. I wish we were close to each other. I would help you in someway. Please let me hear back from you. God bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.