Need to quit

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have been a smoker for over 10 years now and have bad asthma, I have tried to quit lots of times but would like to stop for good, please can you advise on any good methods?

Thanks

Jim

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

go to your doctor and they can prescribe nicotine patches at the highest dosage then drop down to the lowest. you can also get the chewing gum or fake cigarettes from your doctor. failing that there are the E cigs which I think work better because its like you are having a cigarette. the hardest thing for me was routine, getting up in the morning having breakfast and a cig etc etc so I was used to doing it,, the E cigs help with this smile
  • Posted

Yeah I was actually looking at getting some, not sure where or what to do though sad but I just ordered a basic start kit il let you know how it goes smile
    • Posted

Hi Jim, Im into my third week of taking Champix. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Smoked for 30 years, and have no willpower! Halfway through the ssecond week, I noticed I was smoking less, stubbing cigs out halfway through smoking them. The day before my stop date (day16), I actually didnt feel like smoking. I havent had a cig for three days now, early days I know, but Im so relieved to come through the nicotine withdrawal stage so easily, I feel its like a miracle. Hence coming onto the forum to spread the word and help others like me. The negatives - I suffer from nausea for a couple of hours after taking the tablet and have had the odd mild headache. I do feel the craving to smoke has gone, but the habit has to be broken. Find myself thinking something is missing, specially when I have tea or am on the phone. But just quickly do something else. Im feeling very confident that Ive cracked it and will keep taking the tablets as prescribed. I also feel Im no longer a slave to fags, its like a huge weight has been lifted. Dare I say Im feeling smug? I read a post on another forum which inspired me........ "Im sick of paying good money to poison myself". I kept saying that over and over again. Sincere good luck to you, just think how good you will feel and how much extra cash youll have!
  • Posted

Glad you have decided that it is time to quit. I'm sure your GP would have recommended various methods to assist and ease nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

Quitting that nicotine fix can be tough though. But, in my opinion, willpower will be your greatest asset. As it is not only nicotine you have to get over but the physical habit of smoking itself. Try changing your habits associated with cigarettes and find something to keep your hands busy when your cravings hit.

I chewed a lot of gum and took up knitting (I know it's not for everyone, but you get the idea) helped me.

It is a slow process, but, hang in there. It is totally worth it in the endsmile !

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Good on you for trying to quit.

You can go to your GP for a quit smoking starter pack, and some smoking cessation clinics give you products on prescription.

One of the best approaches is probably a double action approach - ie combining e-cigarettes, which help replace the physical action of smoking with patches, gum, or lozenges, which will help reduce cravings in between.

The most popular product is the lozenges, Nicorette cools are a particularly good brand, and they come in varying strengths to help you cut down gradually.

Good luck smile

- Mistrys Pharmacy

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I am on my first week of quitting and I am using the Nicorette Inhaler 15 mg does seem to be working well and also some Ginger Sweets you can buy from Holland and Barratts coz I have been feeling very sick in the mornings seem to be working well..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.