Need to share this after copy of follow up appointment.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies

Just needed to share this with you and looking for reassurance.

As you know i had a follow up 3 weeks ago which i was happy about.

In my letter it read that i was recovering well after my tvh and front wall repair but i had a worry about the folds in front and the back wall looked a bit thick.

My consultant told me all was fine and nothing to be corrected but in my letter it said mild laxity of posterior wall and reassured me nothing needed correcting.

It also said that 95% of ladies who had to vaginal births will have this and its to be expected. No surgical correction is needed.

Will this get worse or can i stop any laxity now in its tracks. I cant go throough another repair but if it got worse id have too.

Any reassurance please ladies and do you feel that your vag would of looked different after your repairs😕😕😕. Hugs to you allxx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl,

Please try not to worry so much, I wish I had an answer for you but I don't.

I don't think our vagina ever looks the same once we have given birth and to be Honest I haven't a clue how different it was after first birth never mind after my Sixth and last.

But you have to remember there is so much more to the vag... than how it looks it's  how it functions that's matters. 

Matron always use to remind us all that men don't notice things as much as we think.

I think that these repairs stay as tight as we are careful and that every time we overdo things they slacken a little which is probably why they do eventually need redone (Matron always said they can last up to 10 years or more). 

I'm sure one of the ladies on the forum had repairs that lasted 15 and 20 years which is fab... considering that these would have been earlier techniques and earlier stitches things have meant to have improved in more recent years.

At the moment I find that I am not quite as tight as I was (thank goodness as i was really painful when on my feet too long at work), 

I feel that it's just about right now, but also feel that if it slackens anymore it will allow the walls to prolapse again so trying to be very careful. 

Had that we fright recently when left on my feet at work and given bad chair with no support and GP agreed it looked like wall was prolapsing again but rested for weeks and the now gradually restarted building mobility back up again while keeping up with pelvic exercises.

So feel that i have recovered a bit. I do feel my inner vag... is different than before prolapses. You can feel the swollen curve of the front wall leaning forward inwards  and it leans against the back wall the deeper you feel. If I was still having periods i would not be able to keep a tampon in as the swollen front wall would push it out as soon as I stood up to walk about.  But anyway think it's tight enough to completely prolapse but does get painfull if on my feet too long as it start to sag and pull on the tight tissue of the repair site.  But none of this causes any problems with partner or during intercourse.  

Your still early days yet try not to worry x

• Posted

Sorry meant 'repair tight enough not to completely re-prolapse'

X

• Posted

Phyl it's lovely to hear from you..

Yes your right about our vag,it will never be the same.

I am triple extra cautious so hope I will fine for a long time.

I'm still in movicol as it gives me easy soft poo so I'll continue for a while yet.

I can feel the front wall scar more this time. I guess he stitched me up more than the other surgeon I had.

I'm going to change to ovestin cream estriol not vagifem as it may be more soothing.

Keep up your good work hun and I hope you had a fab holiday xx

• Posted

Must admit I couldn't function at all without the estriol, everytime I try to give it a break I'm in agony within a couple of weeks.

Had a  super holiday thank you but found the Italian lakes just a bit to much (much more active than a beach holiday ) so will stick to beach holidays with a little walking at night. 

Hurt my pelvic floor on way out of Glasgow airport, hubby put alcohol in my case which made it too heavy and the weight was unbalanced so every now and again my case pulled to one side nearly topping resulting in pulling on my pelvic floor. He was in such a hurry to not keep our pick up driver waiting that he rushed away leaving me to cope with the case, he just wasn't thinking.

Still a bit sore so hoping this will sort itselfs as it felt much more like the repair itself was pulled on this time. Anyway been back and covered my 2 shifts at work and washed and ironed most of our holiday clothes. Just taking it easy now and will see how it goes. 

It's like negotiating an assault course to find the easiest way to get around obstacles in life to avoid the pitfalls of another prolapse x 

Take care and keep up with guideing the newbies on the forum, you have great experience to draw on now 💕X

• Posted

You rest up hun. It can hard isn't phyl.

Lovely to hear from you hun.xxx

• Posted

In reading your post, I was actively thinking how useful it would be to be able to access  a medical website that showed pictures of female vaginal areas...and to actually show us the various differences while also pointing out which ones had functional implications nd which ones did not.  It is crazy that this is still such a mystery topic in this day and age!  Why we have to wonder what is normal post this type of sgy and what is something to be concerned about is just unacceptable!  Once I am past this recovery and the shoulder sgy I had four weeks ago - I think I might just see if I can connect with the uro/gyn society here in the US and ask if they can place a focus on providing better resources for women like us.  Obviously from Phyllis and others comments - and your own repeat procedures, this is a lifelong situation and we need to know how to better recognize issues and calm ourselves for things that are not.

all of that said - I am wishing you all the best and remain grateful for the support found on this site.

Like I subsequently read on Phyl’s comment, agree that primary concern is function.  I have absolutely no idea what I’m even supposed to look like post three vaginal births, this sgy, medical menopause and at the age of 52...embarrassing, but true.

• Posted

I hear you hun.It is wrong we don't know what to expect.as my consultant said there isn't no such thing as normal!!! I agree with him.

Take it easy my lovelyxx

• Posted

I'm afraid I'm the same as others here - don't care what things look like, or feel like, for my partner, my only concern at 10 weeks post Posterior repair is functional!! I'm terrified of ever having any 'laxity of posterior wall' again purely because the rectocele meant I couldn't poo. I'm still on softeners and way too scared to stop them!! Still a bit swollen I think - done some light housework including washing and groceries; no vacuuming. Still a nervous wreck. My GP felt the scar with her finger and said that it felt great, just like a zipper, but I have strained once since then and lifted more! No pain, just a bit of bulgey-ness back....i need so much reassurance its ridiculous!! Thankful for all of you x

• Posted

I've never been affected by fear like this before..

It's constantly there all the time and keep reading my consultants reply to my email which says I do not need to worry,the laxity I have is very mild and absolutely normal for women who have had 2 vaginal births😑 I think informed cs if I'd known all this was waiting for me. Xx

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that....I understand how horrible fear is....did you have a Posterior repair, though, along with other things? If you didn't it will be because u didn't need one, and I would trust the Doc on that, truely. I did my midwifery training and think a bit of 'laxity' after 2 kids is normal - and quite different from an actual rectocele. (For which u would need Posterior repair). I hate being such a worrier, too. At least my UTI symptoms have totally gone - mostly all is well now apart from slight bulgey feeling. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

No I didn't have a back wall repair.. When I had my check up he examined the back wall for me and told me it was fine and no correction needed. In my letter it said slight laxity associated with rectocele but it didn't need correction as it was just natural laxity afterchildbirth.. I will be making sure I never strain lift and will always do my pelvic floor exercise.

I completely believe every word he has told me and I look up to him. A professor in urogyna so I can't ask for anything more in the fact he is top of his field. If I do start having issues pooing I will definitely be back to see him.. X

• Posted

O well thats good , I'm not too sure of your worries then, sounds like its all good, hope the other stuff heals up well! R

• Posted

The back wall entrance looked a bit thick near entrance..he checked it and said u had mild laxity which i worried over but no need to correct anything. I just have to be mindful anout straining and keep pelvic floor strong..

Im paranoid as my first anterior fsiled through no fault of my own.

I am really happy though with my new surgeon,he is fabulousx

• Posted

Hi again, im now 5weeks in from my bladder & anterior wall op. Ive felt well but have had bladder issues. I still go to the loo & need it again 10mins later just like before & quite embarrassingly have wet my bed 3 times whiich makes me scared to go to sleep! Has anyone else done this or simular? Also today, my tummy was really heavy & painful enouph for me to reach for the morphine which ive not touched since week 1 . My feet have swollen considerably so been lying with feet up for couple hrs. My vagina feels like its got a pleat in anterior wall & my cervix feels very very low. Im awaiting an appointment fo a rectal prolapse which is desperately needed. Im still having to push the prolapse back in to go & am on strong laxatives as am & always have been constipated which is so worrying as im almost scared to go incase i push front wall prolapse & undo operation. So much going on & to worry about!! Am i the same as others or should i be worried? Xx

• Posted

Hi hun

We are all so different in our recovery...each of us csn suffer different things.

I did not have much pain at all..only paracetamolfor 2 days and took movicol to kerp bowels soft so i never ever strain again..im not allowed too as it can pull repair down again.

Personslly i would go bsck to see my consultant if i was worried about anything.

Do you have a rectocele or a rectal prolapse from bottom area? Please what ever you do dont strain.go to gp snd ask for movicol its very gentle and not a purge..its so natural you can take it long term. I also use a stool foe pooing.. you place your feet up to 9 inches and it naturally alignes your colon for easy pooing.hope this helps hun.xx

• Posted

Hi, my follow up appointment isnt until 28th June. My other prolapse is posterior wall .. so comes out of vagina. Why they couldnt do it all at the same time i really dont know as my posterior prolapseis much worse than the anterior was & sits at vaginal opening but sticks out when need a poo. Ive got to go through this long boring recovery all over again when heaed! Ive started Movicol so fingers crossed. Xxxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I've heard the reason they avoid doing front and back wall repairs at same time is because it can be too tight.

I don't know if that's true but I had my front wall done with hysterectomy and then later the front wall re-done at same time as the posterior wall.

It was so much tighter having both done and had ongoing problems with tight scar tissue. 

X

• Posted

Thanks Phyl, im just not looking forward to going through the whole thing again 😞😞. Im 6 weeks (just) in & its getting me down. Ive rested loads, done my exercises & am walking for about 10mins without feeling the heavy aches & twinges when ive pushed myself a bit too much. Im doing light housework but it still varies from day to day. Im not seeing my consultant until 28th June. The thought of going through it again fills me with dread but my poserior wall & a lot worse than my bladder & anterior were. Xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Second time around when I had back and front walls done I felt that the back wall was worse but when at referral appointment consultant insisted that it was the front wall coming down again that was pulling on the back wall so just the front to be repaired.

I disagreed as I knew I had a prolapsed wall near end of bowel where it leaned in to vagina where waste was collecting as I wasn't emptying properly and then it was leaking and wouldn't wipe clean sometimes. That pocket had  appeared straight after first repair (front only), but I'm sure it was a result of wearing a ringed pessary before first surgery. 

Anyway spoke to surgeon on way down to theatre and she said we'll see and she did do a small repair at back along with front repair. 

I think that it's the incontinence issues that are much worse when it's the back wall, I could just about manage the bladder incontinence as it wasn't too bad during the day just drips and dribbles with biggest problem first thing in morning trying to make it downstairs. 

But the back end is so much worse can't just cover it up with pads and sprays the smell gets throughout even if it's just a little staining and you get so sore and raw trying to wood clean. 

Look after yourself and I'm sure your repair will be successful and try not to worry about going through another recovery when you compare it with the rest of your life it's not really a long time at all and at least you will know that their is light at the end of the tunnel.

X

• Posted

Don't worry love it will all be fine.I'm like you I've worried myself crazy but it does get better.

We will never be the same down there after any repAir but one word of advice.

I've had tvh and second anterior in January is Please don't go doing to much the first 8 weeks. I did nothing for ,6 wks in my first repair and it dropped. This time new consultant and all seems good.

Hugsxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.