Need to sit for hours every day despite Bilateral PE in lungs. Your experiences please?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My job requires sitting with clients for hours every day and I am wondering how this reality has contributed to my P.E. and what my options and choices are in changing my seating position, using more appropriate chairs, physical aids etc? Your experience and expertise would be welcomed. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If I am understanding your comment, sitting for hours every day with clients and how this would contribute to getting a PE ?  Ok, firstly what symptoms did you have, did it start off with a sore leg or legs? PE's are commonly caused by DVT's, I'm sure you have heard about these, especially during long flights, well it's the same for people who have to sit for prolonged periods for their jobs and also for the people that lead a sedentary lifestyle. In your case sitting for hours every day would be a trigger for a DVT, when the clot breaks it travels to the lung(s) usually or the heart. I thought I had pulled/strained a calf muscle and it wasn't getting better in the expected time frame for such an injury, I had to go to our local emergency department for another issue, angina, the triage nurse asked why was I limping, I explained the situation to her, she pulled the bottom of my trousers up and saw that my leg was red, hot to the touch and swollen, it wasn't sore to the touch but to walk on it was, she informed me that she was more concerned about my leg than my angina chest pain. D-dimer blood test came back really high so then a contrast CT scan was ordered and with in the hour I was told both my lungs were full of blood clots and that they call it Pulmonary Embolisms. A DVT was the suspected cause of my PE. Depending on the severity of PE's they can take 6-12 months for your body to deal with the clots, they recommend light exercise to keep some of your fitness level up, they also advise that wearing compression socks/stockings are helpful if you aren't always active or have a job requiring a lot of sitting, it also helps prevent further clots for people that are susceptible in getting return PE's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.