Need to sleep !

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

The insomnia is driving me mad now. If I don't take sleeping tablets, I average between just 2-4 hours sleep. I'm finding it hard to function at work. Just the sheer thought of getting out of bed feels me with dread as I know I'm going to be exhausted all day. This is making my anxiety hit the roof and is really impacting on my performance. I hate taking sleeping tablets but right now it seems the lesser of 2 evils. Has anyone tried acupuncture? It seems expensive but I'm getting desperate.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I know how you feel!! I was like this a couple of weeks ago. Totally exhausted and working a full time job too...i totally understand :-(

I brought myself some crystals from Ebay and they seem to be working for me. I can go to bed for 11.00pm and only waking once thoughout the night. I feel so refreshed in the morning too...

This is the descripition of the ones i found -  CRYSTAL HEALING SLEEP AID SET FOR INSOMNIA & RESTLESSNESS. GEMSTONE CHAKRA GIFT they cost me £5.99.  

I hope this helps a little.....

Good Luck :-)

• Posted

I can empathise with you regarding lack of sleep. I had several months when I couldn't sleep at all. How I got through it, I really don't know. Have you tried magnesium which you can get in various formats? I use a mag. night time spray. Spray it on, rub it in and you should fall asleep within minutes. I still get up once during the night, when I take a cup of fruit tea back to bed, and can sleep for a few extra hours.

• Posted

I was going through the same thing and magnesium turned out to be the solution.  I take it as part of a calcium/zinc/magnesium supplement and always sleep through the night.
  • Posted

I was totally exhausted!! Started taking a hot bath with candles and music, drink a cup of vanilla chamomile tea, sleep to the sound of the ocean or rain, etc....

You have to pamper yourself. The 8 hours of sleep are so important fir us right now. Good luck!

• Posted

Cheryl, progesterone will help you sleep. I take 200mg before bed and if it weren't for my shoulder pain I'd be sleeping like a baby.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, you said you take 200mg of progesterone? What format are you taking as that seems an awful high dose.
    • Posted

The compound pharmacy makes it, 100mg each. Doc wants me to take 200mg at night. I also have 100mg in the bio cream. So 300mg all together per day. I'm not sure if it's too much, just doing what he says for now and it seems to be getting me off the bottom for now. I'm estrogen dominant.

My neighbor will take up to 400mg of estrogen at night when she can't sleep, which I think is a lot, but she said she thinks it's better then taking Ambien. She's post menopausal. So I guess even after you go through it you can still have trouble sleeping.

My newest strange symptom is my left foot has been burning since last Friday. Do you think that's from the BHRT? Or is it just another thing to go along with peri?

I had acupuncture on my frozen shoulder today, seems to have really helped. Hoping to maybe get some rest tonight!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

The insomnia is bad!  I was almost completely awake for 48 hours once, and still had plenty of energy. (I looked like the walking dead.)  One of the ladies on this site posted that it is because the adrenal gland starts producing adrenaline in an effort to "make up" for the drop in hormone levels.

Instead of taking sleeping meds, you could ask your doctor for a prescription for a tranquilizer.  If you're careful, they are not as addictive as sleeping meds can become.  And, at least for me, they don't leave me doped up in the morning.  

Eventually, the excess adrenaline dissipated.  I still have some difficulty sleeping, but not nearly as much.  

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on! xx 

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I have tried most things to no avail unfortunately - just hoping it will get better over time. Interestingly I went through a very similar time as an 11 year old when I first started my periods so it really must be related to hormones !
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl that must be awful for you. I'm at the opposite end and could happily sleep all day! Seems we all have different symptoms. I would love to have more energy. Hope you find a cure x.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.