Need to talk please.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Would love to hear from someone that has pancreatic problems without cancer

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I had been having abdominal pain for a couple of weeks or so, and one night the pain was pretty bad and I went to the ER. The Doctor asked me if I drink regularly, and that answer is yes. I am Retired Army and have not started working yet. I think to much sitting around partying finally caught up with me. I had 1 incident of pretty bad abdominal pain, and the Doctor said alcohol inflamed my Pancreas. I have also been told by another Doctor because of my specific symptoms I could have an Ulcer. This all started for me around the Holidays, so I still need to see a Doctor about the possibility of an Ulcer. I had my blood drawn in the ER that night, and 5 minutes later the Doctor said I had a inflamed Pancreas due to alcohol consumption. I quit drinking alcohol a month and a half ago. I now drink O'doulls. It is a Non-Alcohol beer and does not bother me at all. I have not had to change my diet because food does not bother me. Make sure you have been diagnosed correctly. Not exactly sure if you have had Gallstones, or had your Gallbladder removed or what caused your problem. Would like to know what is causing your problem, and I hope you are feeling well.

Steve

• Posted

I have been hospitalized with pancreatitis 8times since 2005. I have never been a big drinker, but I haves one some binge drinking at time, but have never had pancreatitis during or soon after those binges. the doctor told me I can not ever drink again. I quit drinking alcohol completely in 2011 and 5 of those hospital stays came while I was sober. Long story short we removed the gallbladder hoping that would solve my problem, that didn't help. Had the stents, didn't work. Last time I was hospitalized a intern call into my room, she had to do a case study as part of her study and found my case interesting. She asked if there was any common thing in ALL these episodes. I had to think about it but the one thing that was common in ALL was I had just started my cycle. Mind you not every time I got my period did I end up in the hospital with pancreatitis, but every time I had pancreatitis I had just started my cycle. With not much else to do in my hospital bed I googled it and found blogs with other women how experienced the same thing. Upon my discharge I made an appointment with my gyno to discuss it with him. He had never heard or read if any connections between pancreatitis and endometriosis and he had not (I should note the first time I was hopistalized for this I was bleeding heavily for days, so had to follow up with a gyno and was dx'd with the endometriosis) I also made an appointment with my Gastro and we scheduled a endoscopy w/ultrasound, my pancreas was unremarkable meaning no scaring no nothing. My gyno and my Gastro consulted and based on my personal history (age, smoking etc.) birth control presented to many risks. Being in my mid 40's and having no plans of having children I went in for a total hystoectomy. I HAVE NOT HAD PANCREATITIS SINCE. My endometriosis had spread into my intestinal area and we believe that when I got my cycle the amylase and lipase levels increased and triggered the pancreatitis. I can't say proof positive that this was the root of my pancreatitis problem but I have not been hospitalized for it since and in the end those episodes were getting closer and closer together. Good luck the pain that comes with this disease I would not wish on my worse enemy. When I did have those episodes the only thing that did ease the pain was a hot bath, but as soon as I got out of the tub the pain would come right back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.