Need to talk something out

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

Brief background, 45yrs young struggled with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, lots of intervention over the years with meds, psychiatrists, cpn's, hospital admissions etc and am relatively stable for 2yrs on citalopram 40mg and quetiapine 50mg daily.

My current situation is I have been in my home for 16 months after leaving a 10+ year relationship with a person I totally loved but was and is still an alcoholic, I have essentially been licking my wounds, resting and re building me for the entirety of this time. Then at some point the niggle in the back of my head started reminding me that although I am at peace, I am also just existing, not being inclusive in a world I have never felt a total part of, there is a real sense of okayness with that for me whilst also viewing the world through my window and feeling the pang of wanting to take part.

Last week I took a massive ( at least for me it was ) step in re connecting with services to help me somehow move to being a functional human being and the initial rush of success that came with the achievement was great, yet here I sit 8 days on not showered, no motivation, sleeping too much, all the old fail safes, I have reconciled that it's a perfectly reasonable reaction given I have opened the scariest door of all and the leap into the unknown, fraught with danger, hurt and worse is simply a given, just needed to explain to you all my present state and I really hope I will move forward although backwards feels safest right now. Thanks for reading

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi crazycat. Just replying to let you know I hear you. I understand and I can relate. Hope things get better for you and you get the help you need. I see a new psychiatrist in two weeks so I'm hoping for me too.🤞

• Posted

Thank you for replying Timmie25 it's the one thing we need to hear, that someone else can resonate with our struggle.

I do hope your psychiatrist appointment goes well just be you and tell them how it is, I have found the time is limited with these appointments so make sure you get the best out of it.

Keep well x

• Posted

Do not compare yourself to others.   all is subject to change. what was yesterday has changed today. what we see today shall change tomorrow. so there are no permanent gains or losses here. 

so have peace of mind. do have a shower. even to have good thoughts (to begin with) is enough to classify  you on way to improvement. Inner world is as important as outer world. gurard it againt enemy of hopelessness. it is always with you. keep it beautiful please. i too have to struggle but then ....

i do have passed through such phases.and keep going through intermittently.  even if it takes a while, never loose patience. 

do you like music. enjoy it. dont over think. overthinking negatively too depletes  our brain of good harmones. 

everynight surrender everything to God and sleep in perfect relaxation. give your life to God. dont hold yourself accountable for everything.  just do littlebit (or more) you can do. remain connected to calmness. overthinking is other word for anxiety. take a break from over thinking. distract yourself. 

• Posted

Srk90447 thank you for your reassurance and yes you're right about not comparing ones self to others, not helpful I have found !

Patience yes, I do have a ton of it and really do try to be kind to myself as I'm sure do you to yourself, would be lovely to not have to battle with ones own self quite so much though.

Hope is the only thing we have sometimes so that I shall hang on to and share it with you. X

• Posted

That's a tough one.  All the usual challenges of love lost, add in your history, add in any guilt you may have (that you shouldn't have) in it ending over a sickness.  I'm sorry for secretly thinking for a split second it might be better if he hit you. Maybe only a couple of times, so you could more easily separate feeling compassion for his sickness from realizing things an alcoholic does are still wrong and accountable, sickness or not.  But it was only for a split second, I apologize.

• Posted

No need for the apology unforgiven I too have felt that it would have been so much easier if he had hit me, I guess I have had to just somehow settle deep inside myself that that is his journey and not mine, I tried with compassion to divert the upcoming nose dive off the precipice yet to no avail which ultimately ended with my very own near death experience !

I still hope for his awakening and if not then ............... well, in the mean time I shall paddle like mad to stay afloat.

Thank you and keep well x

• Posted

Hi Crazycat, it's all too easy to fall back on anxiety abd depressive behaviours when you feel this way, the lack of motivation is one of the difficult challenges I face, just don't want yo do anything.

Youve taken a positive step by re connecting with services so make sure you follow this through, in the meantime set yourself one thing to do everyday even if it's to put the pots away or get up at a particular time, just some very simple things.

Taking part in the world is down to as little or as much as you want and feel comfortable with, what your after is peace with yourself.

Neil 

• Posted

Thank you Neil and you're so right that old habits die hard, I am very aware that I have gone back to my place of safety just don't want it to become a more permanent thing!

There is a constant battle with ones self to set small tasks etc which I have been trying but every time I fail it just reiterates my self loathing urgh!

I guess we fellow travellers shall continue to go on every day and it's lovely to hear from you. Keep well x

• Posted

Hi Crazycat - I can relate well with what you are saying. In childhood, I was constantly expected to DO things - we weren't allowed to just sit and think. If so, a chore would be allocated, and if not done perfectly it would have to be done again, and again, and again until it met unrealistic and ridiculous standards. As a result, i spent my life rushing from one thing to another, feeling guilty if I just sat and thought. Employers loved me - i was fast, efficient, and completed everything to a high standard. At age 45 i addressed the depression I had always had - a day I always knew would come and that i delayed with endless distractions and self medication. Unfortunately - and I'm sure there are others here that can relate to this - the journey of seeking treatment was confronting, exasperating, and damaging. Suddenly this person who had spent his life serving others - (I was a nurse, and also worked in 5 star hospitality), creating all sorts of things (writing, theatre, arts and crafts), who cared about those around him and who stuck his neck out for the good of others (help enact federal laws protecting the elderly in nursing homes, exposed abuses in religious mens shelters) - was suddenly potentially dangerous, a liar, untrustworthy, liable-to-explode-at-any-moment, and 'troublesome.' Another major event caused by the criminal neglect of various govt departments nearly finished me as I was threatened for exposing it, police harrassing me to shut up and promising arrest, sectioned against my will in psychiatric wards without consulting my treating doctor - not even trying to consult him - and the list goes on and on. In the end I won, but there was no justice. The whole harrowing experience nearly cost my life. Suddenly I no longer cared about anything, no longer tried, just sat and battled the resultant trauma, the unfairness of it all, and the ingrained guilt that I was just sitting and doing nothing.

Seven years later and I still do as little as possible. The thought of starting anything new exhausts me. The line in the second paragraph of your post "I am also just existing, not being inclusive in a world I have never felt a total part of, there is a real sense of okayness with that for me...pang(s) of wanting to take part," is exactly something I would have written. I am beginning to accept that it's okay to do absolutely nothing, that life is not some endless rush going nowhere, somewhere, anywhere but here. Also, the fact I was always popular and surrounded by people and now have virtually no-one isn't the great bother that it used to be. To be honest, I like it. I don't know if I have the patience with others now that I used to have. So, you Crazycat, don't dwell on the world rushing around outside striving to attain this and achieve that, endlessly chasing the Next Big Thing, the latest consumer product in a chain that never ends. Just wallow in the peace you have found. It will change when it's ready to.

In conclusion I would like to quote a line from the fabulous series Boardwalk Empire, spoken by the character Arnold Rothstein: "Man's problems stem from the inability to just sit quietly in a room."

• Posted

Thank you wayne1962

Although our lives have many comparisons in the fact that I am a child of a perfectionist mother and father and I too was pushed to strive for that but for me I most certainly did not thrive in that environment, you seem to have had a crazy work career that from the way you write about it would certainly cause the strongest most driven of people to total exhaustion ! So for that I salute you.

I personally understood from a very young age that the material things were something I hated as they represented sadness, yes I had the perfect little girls bedroom with the barbie dolls etc but would have traded it in for time with my parents, subsequently through my life I have actively kept my life simple and hid in the shadows to avoid all the trappings of my family.trouble is it has been very self distructive to the point of " cutting off my own nose despite my face " my only reason for thinking about stepping into the world is I can't afford the luxury of my solace so in an effort to preempt being forced to join life I'm here making the small step yet giant leap into the world, just scared witless x

• Posted

Hi again Crazycat - thanks for responding. Yes, life has a way of forcing us out of our comfort zones and the most driving force is financial necessity. I fully understand the situation as you describe and the fear, scared of the unknown. I contemplate the fact that no matter what happened in life I'm still here, somehow managed to get through things and survive. As for family - well, I forgave what was done. It took time, isolation, and a great deal of pain and acceptance. Now I can associate with them in a very surface kind of way - nothing gets deep, and if I find myself slipping into the abyss where they are concerned I firmly remind myself that i did a life-time of that and it created suffering. Solved nothing. Also, I cannot expect any answer from them - they are not capable of it. I also realise that any guilt they have would be painful for them, and I know how corrosive guilt is because they taught me that.  We can choose how we react, it's just a matter of recognising we are in a habitual pattern, that we can break that pattern, that it will take conscious strength and time, and that we are doing it for ourselves. Best of luck with venturing forth, Crazycat. Once you are there you might be surprised how much easier it was than you imagined. Don't let the b******s get you down.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

I too have accepted my families limitations for my illness and as you said there is no blame just acceptance for what is.

We are survivors but I do wish the battle was not so bloody and the losses not so great, the injustice is evident when talking to my fellow journeymen, with that in mind not letting the, you know who"  get us down is a mantra I use often and wish you the peace too xx 

• Posted

Hi I think it's wonderful you have taken the first step so well done.  it must have taken a great deal of courage.  Don't forget with depression sometimes it's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.  But I think you are on the move now so ok lick your wounds and recover then do it all again.  The more you do it the easier it will be. 

Change for you is on the horizon and you will get there someday. Now take a shower in the morning and put some clean clothes on and carry.  That's an instruction by the way - not a suggestion smile  xx

• Posted

Thank you hypercat,

I did take that shower and change of clothes 😀 And have since taken a couple more tentative steps forward, I am trying to not worry so much and some days it is harder than others so yes I shall journey forth one day at a time.

Take care xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.