Need to vent

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been a really really bad day and I'm so fed up, this morning I smokes half a cig I been doing so good at not smoking but it made my heart go skyrocketing I still don't understand why this happens when it never did before ever. Well I had to take my son to the dr he sees my Dr so I tell her what happen and it was like no big deal really???? To me 128 pulse is too high from smoking half not a whole cig. Well I came home cause I was anxious already laid down to calm down I checked pulse and bp and the monitor said pulse was 40!!!!! Wtf I flipped the hell out and was panicking which I think it may have not been reading right before that I kept getting error several times. Anyways I've been really struggling all day heart rate up and bp up and down and burning pain in my chest and arms and off and on pains all over in chest. So I'm freaking out about that as well. Right now I'm laying here and my arms is burning and my face is on fire I'm so not understanding any of these things I guess I just need to know has anyone dealt with all these things same time all day??? And why would smoking send me into a anxious heart racing feeling? Never did before dr says my heart is fine again she says this this morning well then why this crap happening sorry I'm just having a very very bad day and scared out my mind

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety symptoms are in the thousands. I have had symptoms that I just knew were not anxiety related. ..but sure enough I was causing all of itrolleyes My blood pressure also dropped and smoking does elevate your heart and raise pressure...I just quit 4 months ago. It's just the anxiety...try some deep breathing excersices and sipping on some chamomile tea.

• Posted

Oh yes...especially when my anxiety was hightened. Cigarettes are speed basically. When we smoke we get use to the effects...which are bad. When I quit smoking my heart rate slowed way down. My normal rate was close to 100 and now that I quit it's around 70. Crazy huh!

• Posted

I know what you mean pamela, I have smoked most of my adult life and only since becoming anxious have I noticed my heart racing like the clappers after lighting up, I get all of the chest pain and arm pain and burning too.

That said this time last year I could also drink 4 shots of espresso with no ill effect but now if I dare to even try one my heart rate goes through the roof and I get every panic attack symptom in the book.

I suppose it's because both are stimulants and when you are anxious, especially on a really bad day it's more than the already sensitive body can handle, it really doesn't take an awful lot to provoke the symptoms when your body is already willing and ready to go into panic mode as it is.

Heck I am so sensitive at the moment that I only have to laugh and my body takes it as a signal to throw some adrenaline around and have me going into a panic attack.

I used to have a fitbit charge hr which would show my heart rate and to be honest I ended up taking it off, my heart rate can be 130-140 upon waking and was never less than 110 just walking around casually, I became so aware of it that it was scaring me even more and yet the heart can beat safely at 200 bpm so I decided to stop checking it.

On the contrary my husband who still uses his frequently sees his rate drop to the low 50's and he is not the fittest of people, he doesn't smoke but he eats badly every day and is very overweight but he is a calm,laid back person so he wont get the adrenaline rush that causes fast beating like we do.

It's horrible but honestly harmless, obviously smoking is unhealthy and we all know that but my Dr has also assured me that whilst quitting would be great for my health my current heart racing and arm sensations are caused by anxiety and worsened by any kind of stimulant, I often notice my first ciggie of the day causes the most havoc too, it's as if having one after a break really kicks things off.

• Posted

Thank you thank you soooo much for answering me your the only one that has really said something that's made sense to me in all this and why it's happening now when it never did. I'm never picking them up again and this anxiety has got to get under control. Everything you just posted I'm dealing with and it seems you really know what I'm trying to explain seems any stimulant is making me do this and it never did before but it's because my body us already in the anxiety mode and that's why it's happening thank you again for explaining

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

I do notice when I smoke my heart rate does go up. They say not to take bp within 30 minutes of smoking.

How were you taking your pulse. Was it on your bp machine or were you using an app? I tend to be obseddive with taking both. Something I really have to work on. I use my bp machine and then check my pulse agin using the app on my phone

• Posted

Bella Luna how accurate do u think EKGs are? I've had two recent last month if theae burning arms and pains off and on was heart related would it have showed on ekg?

• Posted

I can't help but to check mine cause I could feel my heart racing out my chest at 128 bpm that's insane told Dr this morning she wasn't concerned scary

• Posted

Don't get a phone app.   That can really become obsessive.

• Posted

I have one I don't use it I feel as if it's not accurate so I stopped using it

• Posted

An EKG that is carried out by a doctor can be absolutely trusted, I was never fully convinced that my heart was okay until I had one, I don't typically suffer from health anxiety but I did become worried that the stress and my heavy smoking was doing me some very real and immediate damage but the EKG was very reasssuring.

Doctors are not just concerned with the rate of our hearts but also with the pattern and how regular the beats are, anything irregular would show on the EKG and if they think something is wrong they do not hesitate to say so or act on it, they really do know exactly what they are looking for I promise you that.

Try to avoid all of the stimulants you possibly can, I drink tea now but I even limit that because it does still have some caffeine in it, a cup or two in a day is okay though and I mention tea because even ordinary tea brewed in the pot can be very soothing although chamomile is better, I just can't stand the taste of that stuff lol.

You are very sensitive at the moment though, we anxious people all are, our nerve endings are constantly on edge so are easily triggered which is why one ciggie will send you into choas, it's so unfair that we have to limit ourselves, I for one really miss my morning coffee but in my state I don't dare drink it.

Another thing to try aside from avoiding the triggers is deep relaxation, I know it is hard when panic hits so often but tension will cause all of these pains and odd sensations, it's a bit of a pattern really, you get the tension, then comes the fear, then the panic follows and it can happen in a flash, out of nowhere.

When you feel yourself becoming afraid or tense loosen your shoulders,let your arms drop and your tummy muscles sag, that way you relieve some of that awful tension that fear and panic love to build upon, I read that in a book and thought it was absolute nonsense but it's surprising how much it helps.

• Posted

Thank you and yea I agree very wonderful suggestions and very well explained

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.