Need urgent Coeliac help and advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am hypothyroid and taking medication for it and over the last 4 years I have had so many food sensitivities and my face was constantly breaking out in hives everytime I ate. I have been to my GP and dermatologists numerous times but nobody seems to know what the problem is and everything get blamed on the thyroid. I have always had stomach issues and anything I ate would irritate my stomach so the GP prescibed Omeprazole for it. Recently I have been reading about coeliac and food sensitivities and have gone gluten free. My skin cleared but I must have eaten something that was contaminated and my face is now full of hives. I mentioned this to my GP and he is reluctant to send me for tests that woud confirm my diagnosis and his excuse is that the test is only done to children and because I am a mature adult, they would not do it. I am seriously suffering and I do not know what to do. I have read alot of journals and there seems to be  a relationship between hypothyroidsm and coeliac disease and even after mentioning this to my doctor, he still insists there is nothing he can do. Please if there is someone out there who knows how I can go about having these tests done either via NHS or even private, I will be ever so grateful.

Thank you for taking your time to read my plea and I look forward to hearing from someone soon. 

1 like, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Rose,

    My first move would be to immediately find a new GP. Sorry, but his comment is absolutely bogus. Adults need to be checked especially when they suffer from other conditions. Not all doctors understand celiac. Not all doctors believe the disease exists. Not all doctors graduated with an A! We all want our doctors to be right. We depend upon their expertise. This one just revealed he or she is not an expert in this important area.

  • Posted

    Ring coeliac uk they might be able to give you something to take to the GP to get the referral u need. There is definitely a link between thyroid and coeliac (my daughter has coeliac and was tested for thyroid). Also you can have a skin biopsy for your rash which will tell you if you have the rash which = coeliac.
  • Posted

    Is there another doctor at your practice you could see? I've never heard anything like the response you have received from your present doctor. Of course adults get tested, and you are right to question it. 

    I had been diagnosed with hypothyroidism quite a few years before the coeliac disease was diagnosed. (I don't know if you know, but if you have one auto-immune disease, your chances of developing another are increased).  

    Also, in order to be tested for coeliac disease or Dermatitis Herpetiformis you need to be eating gluten for at least 6 weeks for it to be diagnosed.

    The phone number for coeliac uk is 0333 332 2033 if you need any help or information, they help doctors as well as patients, as not all doctors know everything there is to know about the disease.

    Let us know how you get on.

  • Posted

    I have to add my agreement with the others wh have responded.  It  is abolute nonsense to say that the tests for coeliac disease are only avalable for children.  The only certain way to diagnose coeliac disease is by means of a gastroscopy test and analysis of biopsy samples, this can be done at any age - in my case it was at 78!  By the way, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism some 8 years before finding out that I also had coeliac disease.  Good luck with finding a GP who knows what he talking about!
  • Posted

    Ian sensertive to quite a few food stuffs. I found out by having

    my bloods Tested at the york laboratories it was expensive but

    worth it. I have also just seen A nutritionist and she has put

    me on some supplements. I have also gonePaleo which

    has helped with joint pain and stomach problems.hope this helps.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up