Needing advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. My partner has been on citalopram for a number of years. She takes 15mg a day. It has really helped her mood swings but she gets quite drowsy and can't get out of bed in the mornings. During the week she stays in bed and gets up at the last minute for work. At the weekend she often stays in bed until midday, sometimes all day, and sometimes goes back to bed in the afternoon. I'm worried but she says its the side effects of the citalopram. I've suggested she discuss with her Doctor but she won't. She says it's normal for people on this medication. I guess my question is, is this a normal side effect? It seems drowsiness is common, but she sleeps alot.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My personal experience is they do make you drowsy yeah but regards to the sleep it's the totally opposite for me but that's just me hope this helps
  • Posted

They do make you drowsy, but sleeping excessively isn't good.  Sometimes the more you sleep, the more you want to sleep - it becomes a habit.  If you get more fresh air, exercise, take walks it really helps.  The more you exercise, the less tired you become.  Does she go to bed at a reasonable time, and does she use a computer, phone, iPad etc, as these will make you more tired than taking the meds.

So yes, the meds can make you tired, but it could be a habit of sleeping too much.  I'd definitely get it checked out as it could be an iron deficiency or something.  I wouldn't want to be spending half my life sleeping - there's too much living to be done :-)

K x

• Posted

Hey Mr Toes

I've only been on Cit for a week and am taking it for menopause issues and I have had a real problem wanting to leave the security of my house. I get up at 6.15 and drop My son off at the station for school an hour later but then head back to bed. This was the beginning of the week but then I tried to pull myself together and realised this isn't what I want in life - three weeks ago I was an active, go to gym five times a week, never sit down and love being there for my kids whether it's a football, netball or hockey match. I panicked even leaving the house this week and cried at the easiest thing as my confidence had hit rock bottom over such a short period of time but I'm a positive person and I decided to get myself out of bed and try to gets self back to normal. My first day of positivity I managed three tasks on my list, bought the new Jamie Oliver cook book, cooked my husband a really nice meal and was so excited to tell him of my conquests which included driving and getting to a supermarket. Small steps I know but I want to enjoy my life and not let things get me down - perhaps you should talk/research why she is feeling like this and whilst I am sure you are supporting her you need to encourage her to get out even if it's for a walk in the park. It can take its toll on you too so stay strong Mr Toes and see if you can research herbal remedies to encourage her to feel better within herself x 😀

• Posted

Hi there

In my opinion this isn't a side effect of citalopram - 15mg is a VERY low dose. It sounds to me like it is her depression making her sleep a lot which is common. She may actually need to increase her dose.

She should definitely speak to her doctor. She shouldn't be that drowsy on 15mg.

Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.