Needing Advice - Do you get these symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 3 years ago I woke in the night and my heart was pounding crazy fast. I could hear it in my ears. I got up to go get my husband who had not yet come to bed. By the time I got to the bottom of the stairs my legs had gone so weak i had to sit on the floor and i was hit by a wave of nausea and then broke out in a sweat all over. Then all of a sudden my heart went back to normal and all the other symptoms stopped it lasted in total maybe 5 minutes. A few weeks later the same thing happened and when I contacted my GP she said it sounded like a nocturnal panic attack. since then I have had these same episodes maybe 10 times. Always the same. Always wake me from sleep, Always last a few minutes then stop. Often cause nausea and then a feeling like a heat rise up to the surface of my skin and then I break out in a sweat all over my body. A new GP recently suggested a SVT. I had an ecg and Echo but nothing showed up (I wasn't having symptoms at the time). does this sound typical of SVT symptoms? The cardiologist suggested lifestyle changes and a 'Holistic approach' but I only drink one coffee a day, no alcohol or smoking so i'm not sure why lifestyle would be causing this. Also I grew up not having much contact with my Dad and I don't know the specifics but I know he and my grandfather both have some kind of arrhythmia causing fast heart rate on and off and my half brother had to have ablation surgery to remove an 'extra electrical node' causing his heart to beat fast. I am frustrated with being dismissed by Dr's and thought people with experience might be more help!

I would really appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you know what your heart rate is when this happens? With an SVT it would typically be around 140 bpm-plus but regular, not jumpy, and they are not dangerous just annoying. With your family history I would have through it might be worth investigating further however.

• Posted

Hi Sue

On one occasion (one of the worst) my heart rate was around 160 bpm but I think it had been higher but by the time i got the oximeter it had started to decline. Other times it is more like 130 -150 bpm.

• Posted

mine started like that in my fifties and escalated to a full blown attack on several occasions resulting in going to A &E. 197 beats a minute. on Bisprolol but it makes me feel like a zombie. I had many attacks of small ones waking me up at night,unless doctors witness it they dismiss you. i also have a son with the same problem. SVT has affected my life greatly but i am here at 73.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.