Needing advice - Sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone! My anxiety started 3 months ago now. I wanted to avoid medication but i've had enough now of feeling this way. The doctor prescribed me 50mg Sertraline and advised I start on half a tablet for the first few nights then up it. I took half a tablet for the first 3 nights then upped it to 3/4 tablet for the past 2 nights now i'm going to up it to 50mg. I have barely slept since I started taking it and had funny headaches and my anxiety and over thinking is a lot worse. The sleep is really getting to me though and I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I'll go to sleep fine but wake up within half an hour and toss and turn for the rest of the night. I am also having so many dreams, not bad dreams but just so many of them. Even sometimes when I am trying to get back to sleep I go into a dream and i'm not even sleeping yet or i'm half sleeping anyway. Sometimes i'll also open my eyes and i cant actually even tell if i've been sleeping or not. It doesnt help that I have a fear of taking the medication so I could be making it worse for myself. I'll also sometimes wake up in a bit of a painic and mt hearts racing. Can anyone please give me advise. Will this get better?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

It does get better, but it takes time. The most anxiety I felt was at 50 and 75mgs. I personally didn't start feeling better until 100mg. The sleep issues eventually go away but I know what you're going through. I've had days where I barely get any sleep and days where I sleep for 18 hours. Hang in there.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i feel for you very much. I have been on SERTRALINE twicd in the last year but have been off it for 9 weeks. like you i hate tsking medication. my sleep has been bad for 18 months with a similar problem of falling asleep then wsking up soon after and tossing and turning.

I personally want to stay off meds because of side effects and withdrawal. It is your decision about whether yo stay on SERTRALINE but you really need yo work out what is making you anxious. Disturbed sleep is a classic anxiety problem. i have found exercise helpful and listening to michael sealy relaxation tapes at bedtime.

If you stick with meds you need to ask what you expect from them. if you are medication phobic like me then you may not get much out of taking an AD.

i wish you all the best.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is really hard when you first start on Sert i fully understand. i started on 50mg, and felt blooming awful- terribly nauseaous, 'spaced out', jittery and increased anxiety, very vivid dreams etc, etc. The side effects do slowly fade away tho. It took me a full 5-6 weeks for them to subside.

My sleep was never disrupted, but it is another common side effect.

My GP prescribed a low dose of Diazepam to take as required on 'start up', and i did find that worked very well, and helped me tolerate the increased anxiety.

Have you tried adjusting the time you take your Sert?

If you can stick it out, you will begin to reap the rewards. It is really hard, but does get better given time. Hoping for you x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

im 11 days in and i have your exact symptoms, everyone keeps telling me it will get better and that anxiety will melt off and if it doesnt in 6 to 8 weeks go back to your doctor.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up