Needing help and advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past 4 years I've suffered iron, b12 and folic acid deficiency, at its worst iron was 2 and Folic acid was 1.6. Ive had non stop abdo problems and been told I have IBS. I finally got a Dr who wanted to explore this and after Pill cam they found erosions in my ileum and during endoscopy found duodenitis. Ive had to wait 6 months after finding the ulcers and been told not to take any NSAIDs, I don't take any anyway due to allergies, but apparently this could be the cause. I had a b12 injection end of Jan and recently got ulcers in mouth and fatigue so asked for a re test of bloods my b12 is in 300s and folic acid is back low at 2, so back on folic acid tabs and got my next b12 jab next month, iron was at 14 and my apt with gastro, first apt back since the finding of erosions, is on Tuesday, what I'm confused about is as I had mucus in my stool they tested for inflammation but it came back within normal range, does this mean it cant be crohns? And what else can cause erosions and deficiencies? As all I'm seeing and being told is early signs of crohns, basically I just want to know if you can have early signs of crohns but a normal calprotection test? And if not what else could be happening? As I want to be as clued up as poss before apt on Tues. Hope this makes sense, thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I think it could be crohns because the symptoms are the same as I had before I found I had crohns. I had to looked up calprptection test. Let me know what the test results show.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying! Calprotection test is the stool test they do to measure inflanmation which for me came back normal but could this be as its mild or early? So many things to ask tomorrow haha xxx
  • Posted

Hi, It is early stage of the inflammation. Glad the results came back normal.
    • Posted

Saw my consultant today she has confirmed crohns disease, in a mild form so being monitered 6 monthly treating the deficiencies and keeping fingers crossed it remains mild smile also found out vit D was low today! Relieved to finally have a cause x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.