Needing insight!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so.... About 8 weeks ago I was told I have hypothyroidism.  Tsh-71, sling with low t4 and t3. So I was prescribed 112mcg. I just had labs done and now my t4is high and tsh - .08.... and Vitamin D defecient. So they’ve lowered my dose to 100mcg. Would those labs not mean now I’m hyper?? Confused. I just got call from dr office, was unable to discuss at time.  Any advice/insight?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

With a TSH of 71 you were very hypo and probably felt it.

With a TSH of .08 and high T4s. while taking meds they would probably want to lower your dose again. Some ppl can only get normal ranges when TSH is suppressed. The doctors should FIGURE OUT WHY....instead of lowering dose so much you become hypo. Also do not take any vitamins that has the B7 vit "BIOTIN" in it at least 12 hrs before blood draw. It will falsely suppress TSH and increase T4 and T3. And CONFUSE THE DOCS BIGTIME....BUT THEY SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS....but most aren't.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I didn’t take any prior vitamins. I’m just confused.. I was also prescribed vitamin D 50,000 ui twice a week. From googling 🙈, says that’s too much. Maybe I need to get into an endo. I’m new to this and trying to understand and be optimistic about feeling better. 

• Posted

Vit D3 is very important has to be taken with vit K2...look it up. You can/might feel lot better when you raise Vit D3 levels. Think the SUPERMEGA doses are not rxd that much amymore....but will raise levels lot faster. Your Vit B12 and folate and Vit B7 /Biotin VERY IMPORTANT.

• Posted

If you were rx'd that much Vit D you mustve been REALLY LOW so time to start reading up on nutrients and not wait for a DEFICIENCY. DEFICIENCIES can do A LOT of damage. You never took vitamins? You must eat superwell bc its not easy to get nutrients from food these days.

• Posted

Also Ferritin levels above 70 are needed to be able to convert thyroxine.
    • Posted

My vit D was 35 (range 50+). I was prescribed 30,000 iu's and told I could either take 1,000 a day for 30 days or 10,000 a day for 3 days.

• Posted

Ferritin above 70 needed to convert T4 to T3...not true for everyone!!

Remember the higher the ferritin (above 100) the higher the inflammation in body. High ferritin is a marker for some disease states. Dont want to take too much iron because it can be toxic and drive cancer. Read up on ferritin.

• Posted

I haven’t taken vitamins in about 6/7 months. My vit d level was 21, b12 was normal. Not sure my v7 or folate were tested. Also my rx is vit d2 not the d3. And not sure what ferritin levels are... I guess my main confusion is.. if my tsh is .08, I’m getting too much thyroxine would I hold off for a few days or stop since that is a really low level? Since when you’re hyper you take a diff rx. ? 
    • Posted

I mean I’m not literally asking you if I should hold off, etc.  It’s just what I would think when you’re getting too much of something... idk.. 
    • Posted

There seems to be some confusion here. From the TSH and T4 blood tests you've supplied before you started taking any medication your diagnosis us hypothyroidism. This diagnosis doesn't change just because your TSH level goes low, all it means is that you're being over medicated (aka overstimulated) by taking too much thyroxine. This is why your doctor reduced your thyroxine dose. The picture is also confused by us all colloquially using the phrase 'hyper' to mean over-medicated.

• Posted

Vit D3 is better but its not rxd . You have to take vit K2 with it and take cholesterol food. Folate is Vit B9 you want methylfolate NOT folic acid. Also vit B6 at same time. You may still be B12 deficient even w normal B12. An MMA test is the real test for B12 Def.. If you feel palpitations and irregular heart beat then thats a sign of too much levo. Your lower dose should be ok dont get so worried . Your TSH was really high so you were hypo. Relax. 100mcg isn't a lot. I started on that dose.

• Posted

My daughter was low in Folate, was prescribed Folic Acid and this fixed it.
    • Posted

Your daughter could have also been poisoning herself. Almost half of the population cannot metabolize folic acid fully. The numbers go up BUT the folic acid can do harm. Folic acid is a cheap synthetic folate added to food to prevent folate deficiency but can lower natural killer cells etc. Do your homework. Look up Human Genome Project methylation gene mutation folic acid C677T, A1298C. Yeah lots of people can get their folate numbers up w folic acid but it can't be used properly people w family hx thyroid disorders especially if they inherited 2 or more methylation SNPS in C677T and/or A1298C.

• Posted

Very interesting, thank you. Luckily she's not on it anymore. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she hasn't got these genes - I'm the only one in my family to have been diagnosed with thyroid problems, though immune problems e.g asthma are familial.

• Posted

Vit D3 is prescribed in UK. Seems to be prescribed as standard, as different family members in different health authorities have been prescribed Vit D3 not D2.
    • Posted

Asthma, other autoimmune problems, hayfever, diabetes, anxiety, plus lot more,not just Hashimotos are all genetically linked to SNPs in C677T and A1298 depends if you inherit any and how many. 1 SNP is very common. 2 less common but high homocysteine.
    • Posted

Thank you. She also has anxiety and gets mild hayfever. How does one find out if one has these faulty genes and what can one do about if one has?
    • Posted

This is my 3rd attempt to answer you.my text dissappeared twice. Going to keep it short you can get a blood test for C677 and 1298. Or go to one of the ancestry sites that does it. If you dont use folic acid well your HOMOCYSTEINE can increase. Natural killer cells deplete. To lower homocysteine you would take methylfolate.with methylB12 and B6. My screen is really blocked now w ads ....so just do online searches...this ad blocking is impossible.
    • Posted

Thank you for the info and for persevering!

I'm accessing patient from my phone and only get one ad - at the bottom of my screen. I'm using the free Avast virus software, I don't know whether that would make any difference to ads for you. By the way, I always 'Select All' then 'Copy' so that if I lose the message I can just 'Paste' it back.

• Posted

Hi Barb. Just to make things easier just get a homocysteine test done for you (and your daughter..if she wants). You want the homocysteine to be lower than what they say is normal between 5 and 8 is optimal. Fast from the night before bc any protein in your system will give higher false results. Read up on homocysteine and what results mean. There are also you tube videos.

Ps the ad blocking gets so bad I can't see a word that I am typing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.