Needing some general help from fellow sufferers regarding herniation on both S1 and between L4 and 5

Posted , 3 users are following.

Posting this in both Herniated Discs and Sciatica for the best results so this post may look familair.

I've been 'diagnosed' with this condition now roughly a year ago, since then and now I had an mri to locate where the issue is, and have been given only medication as my doctor felt my case was not bad enough to move to the top or anyway near the top of the waiting list.

I've been prescribed Tramadol hydrochloride, these do have some effect and pain releif but not as much as they used to when I started and also Naproxen that I do not take because of the side effects, these in my opinion are not worth the extra seuffering for a few hours pain relief.

I stretch often, but when I do stretch for the Sciatic nerve my lumbar inflares and vi sa versa

I like to walk a lot, that has some relief and also makes it easier to cope with the emotional side of it, But then my ankle hurts more than it does because my footwear presses on my achiles heal and thus onto my sciatic nerve. I have tried running shoes, formal shoes and every kind of trainer in between, none have any effect at releiveing pain.

If anyone has suffered or is suffering from this condition or of something similiar I'd love to hear what If anything I can do to help myself and hopefully get some form of pain relief.

I highly thank you all for reading and replying in advance as I do not always have time to reply but sooner or later I will get back to you.

Thankyou very much

-Ellis.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever tried prone press ups? That and deep tissue massage really turned things around for me. I couldn't bare to be on my feet for more than a couple of minutes at my worst.
    • Posted

Hi Natalie, 

Thankyou for the reply.

Yeah i've tried doing them, despite the injruries I'm 'trying' to stay in some what of a good health. Not sure how I feel about them, They hurt whilst im doing them, but do not make it any worse? So I took that as a reason not to do them? Maybe i'm wrong.

-Ellis

• Posted

Yeah they hurt me too but as I gradually increased my range until I could straighten my arms and they became less painful and my sciatica lessened. I have a large prolapse L1S5 too. Its been over a year now, I still have sciatica but my mobility is good. Just can't jump around anymore
    • Posted

In that case I'll give them a go again. Even if they don't help with my back pain they might help me stay in shape, kind of a win win if you ask me!

Thanks

-Ellis

• Posted

Hi Ellis,

I've recently (May 2014) had decompression surgery on L1/S4-5, and as part of my rehabilitation, I've had a GP referral to my local leisure centre, which has a gym, fitness studio, physiotherapy unit etc - I've just had my second session in the gym, and I feel totally relaxed about it - my first session (last week) only lasted for 20 minutes or so, being on a bike and then a hand bike, and I was more than disappointed by the 'fitness instructor' who wouldn't allow me any more time on any other equipment - "Doctors orders" he said, but he was in such a rush to go to his next (external) appointment that I nearly ran him over when he tried to cross the road outside! - today's fitness instructor was 20 times better, and I had a good hour with him, not only the bike and hand bike, but weights and other machines - my hand felt a bit 'rheumatic' before I went, but having sprayed Deep Heat on it before exercising, it is fine now, and I'm looking forward to Thursdays session - my course lasts for 12 weeks, and I intend to have my full quota of 24 sessions

Even though I had the surgery, I still have a (reduced) level of paresthesia in my right foot, and this (I think) has also been helped by these exercise sessions - I'm 65 and overweight to the point of obesity (BMI about 35), and haven't exercised since being at school 50-odd years ago!

Maybe you could explore the same possibility?

Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Hello Patient99,

If my memory serves me right you have replied to one of my threads before and back then that was very helpful imformation just like this is! 

I have a small set of weights at home that I use every now and then, And Since I do not drive every where I go near or far I have to cycle too.So I think that has played a big part in my 'revovery'.

Since I do not work at the moment It is hard for me to use an actual gym like I used too because of financial Issues so i will definatly mention it to my Gp next time I am there, should be the next few days.

Thank you again for the information!

Hope all goes well with your 24 week course

-Ellis

• Posted

Hope all goes well with you too when you see your GP, but please be aware that it is a 12 week course (I imagine that this is a national thing), and I am allowed two sessions a week (Tuesday and Thursday) so therefore 24 sessions - just to clarify/rectify your response.

I actually bought a bike a few years ago, but my daughter (late teenager at that time) forbade me to ride it without wearing a helmet - so I gave it to her then boyfriend, now husband, who was allowed by her to ride it without a helmet, but that only lasted for a few weeks as he managed to get the bike stolen!

Keep up with your exercising, but be careful that your using the weights correctly - even if your GP can't/won't refer you, maybe a refresher session to make sure you're using them in the right way so you don't do further damage

Kind regards

N

• Posted

I hope so too! Yeah i had a refresher course not so long ago and I only lift very light weight, probably 30% of what I used to just to be safe and I'm still able to see the benefits. 

That's children for ya, sounds like she was trying to protect you, and what a shame it was stolen!

Thankyou for your help

-Ellis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.