needing the loo too often on amlodipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

is it just me or is the amlodipine, I seem unable to get through a journey, short walk or just about anything without needing to pass urine these days since being on amlodipine, up several times a night, swollen calf/ankle in the evenings or on long journeys in the car. Anyone else had this sort of issue on it (on other stuff too but since am. came onto my list of meds its got far worse) thanks in anticipation

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You'll read other similar bad reports of Amlodipine on this board. I gave it up pretty quickly after getting swollen ankles having never suffered this before. You don't have to put up with this get GP to change.
  • Posted

Haven't had the bladder problem with Amlodipine, however I have to fight to stay awake, after about a half hour of taking the pill. I've found if I take a short nap when that tired feeling grabs hold, I'm ok for most of the day, but some days I can't find the time to stop everything, and crash. It works havoc with my weight training, trying to concentrate, and feeling I could go to sleep without much difficulty at the gym. But, it's what my doctor is convinced is my perfect med to keep the BP in check.
  • Posted

Hope this helps, I was prescribed amlodipine(my wife says about a year ago!!!) I havent had any probs passing, maybe it affects women more? I have had severe cramp in calves, chest pains in a straight line across my chest, swollen ankles, i had to buy extra large socks to stop the elastic hurting(lots). i had painful and growing gums. i visited my dentist loads but to no avail. I was tired all day, even after a full nights sleep i was exhausted. i have always been active etc. The worst feeling of all was, i thought i had grown old quickly! i stopped taking tabs 2 weeks ago, slowly but surely, all my probs have disappeared.I feel 10 years younger, honest! I went to docs this week,(2nd time since i went on these tabs) He agreed to take me off amlod this time!!!. he has now prescribed "Bendroflumethiazide" early days yet but im still feeling great! (and very relieved). The advice given is, you are advised to take early am, to stop getting up lots during the night!
  • Posted

Kathryn, you're probably having regular routine blood tests whilst on Amlodipine.  Have you asked whether any of the results show any problems with your kidny/bladder function?   The 'Urea and Electrolytes' box on the blood test form is usually ticked by the GP when going for a blood test - perhaps ask what these results are just to rule out any problems, perhaps even a urine test will help to ensure you haven't got any underlying infection going on.
  • Posted

No, I havnt felt the need to 'go' more often. There is a very slight swelling of ankles occasionally, but no trouble. I do feel very  tired in the afternoon and quite a few other problems but I had those before I took any Amlod. I do feel a lot better and the heart palpitations I was very worried about have completely gone. I'm on 10 mg of the besilate type.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.