Needlestick injury help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I keep thinking I have HIV from a needle stick injury at work on ( June 27 ) I got a rapid HIV test on ( July 27) it came back negative I keep thinking about it and checking symptoms online worrying a lot I check my body and I noticed

I'm sweating a lot more

tingling in both legs and my left arm ad once in a while my right arm. ( the tingling occurs more when I'm at work and sometimes at home.)

random pains in arms in legs

headaches

Weakness in arms and legs

bottom of feet hurt

nausea ( feeling it but have not thrown up )

I have a little cough 2 days ago ( but I think I caught my brothers cold )

1) what test do doctor used to test for HIV ( do I request the duo test )

2) are the symptoms HIV related or sound more stress related?

3) how high is the transmission rate for HIV via needle stick injury

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Go to the doctor, share you're problems and see what he will say about that. And better take the HIV test after 2 more months.

• Posted

Symptoms would be fever, swollen gland night sweat. 

Ask doctor to do 4th generation test , those are 90% accurate after 28 days. 

• Posted

You should not worry then. What we think is swollen but doctor look for more. So if you still have doubt visit special infectious doctor. 
    • Posted

I went to my Dr he said he felt the lympth node on the left side of my neck
    • Posted

What didn’t doctor say about your doubt? He will know Moreau’s accurate. The wait will be difficult, wait for 21-28 days after exposure and then go for 4th generation test
    • Posted

Rapid one takes more time. All test after 90 days will be correct. 
  • Posted

The chances of catching HIV from a needle stick are surprisingly low. Pretty sure it’s 0.3% chance if the needle even has HIV infected blood in it. Worth checking those stats but I was told by a doctor who works with the virus.

28 days with a rapid test will be pretty accurate but test again at 3 months to be absolutely certain.

Sounds more likely that you are suffering symptoms of serious anxiety - which is completely understandable. But I think your risk after texting negative along with the low risk anyway means u should relax! 

• Posted

A lot of your symptoms could come down to stress/anxiety. Once my results were confirmed to be negative, I was able to relax and everything I thought was a symptom of HIV went away.
    • Posted

So I should get tested since its a month and few days since exposure ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.