Negative colonoscopy but positive fecal occult

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi first some background. Im male 43 years old and a bit overweight. 6 years ago I had a blocked bowel and ended up in hospital for 5 days. I had a ct scan and was told I had inflammation possibly due to diverticulitis. A month later I had a colonoscopy in which they found and removed a polyp. Fast forward to 5 years and last September I had a follow up colonoscopy which apart from the diverticulitis revealed nothing, no polyps found. But here's where I am worried. I am constantly having small flat stools. I do not produce what I would call a regular shape/sized stools. I have also done a couple of home fecal occult tests and they have shown faintly positive. I have mentioned this to the doctor who has tried to say this is fairly normal, and isn't really interested because the colonoscopy was clear. The upshot of this is that I'm now worrying myself silly that something has been missed and something more sinister is going on. I do not have a family history of bowel cancer but do have a family history of cancer itself. I feel as though I have drawn a blank and don't know where to turn anymore. I literally study the toilet every day to check for blood and am in a constant state of anxiety and worry.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Darren i understand where you are coming from and I'm not a doctor but if you have an appetite and are not having alternating bowel habits or losing weight for no reason should be reassuring please try to let this consume your life as I have its an awefull way of life take care and I hope things get better

• Posted

Darren - If you had cancer it would show on the CT 'scan'-(It showed up on mine)!

Your anxiety is making you feel worse-speak to your doctor about anxiety!

CBT - may be good for your anxiety (cognitive behavoural therapy)

Try to relax more.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Susan, my ct scan was 6 years ago now. My last colonoscopy was September last year. I cannot understand why I'm getting positive fecal occult tests, but the doctor does not seem concerned because of the colonoscopy was clear apart from the diverticulum. I do worried something has been missed and I've even read that colonoscopy are not 100% accurate for detection. I am currently on fluoxitine for anxiety but I cant get the overall feeling that something is being missed out of my head

• Posted

Darren-

As you mention diverticulitis-this may be why you are feeling uncomfortable-do you take meds for it?

As far as I am aware diverticular disease doesn't disappear quickly.

Can you see another GP at your practice (are you in UK) ?

Hope you'll soon be sorted -

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.