Negative/intrusive thoughts

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is week 13 on 20mg anxiety a bit better low mood better it's just the intrusive/negative thoughts that are making me down is this normal at this stage ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Morning Don!

Yes they can be at any stage, mind you some lucky people don't really suffer from them like us, but you just have to try and learn to deal and live with them until you get em under some kind of control. Just keep telling yourself it takes time. keep talking your GP, us here on the forum (even the thoughts - I did!)

I still get them, but can handle them now, I can't really tell you how, it is just trial, error and loadsa will power (as and when you can manage it).

In the meantime try and enjoy the weekend, don't know how the weather is with you, but here in Devon, no rain! In fact it has been dry for several days now and I am supposed to go out into the back yard and take up some decking and do a re-fit. I keep telling my Fiancee that I keep getting the "thought" that it may not be a good idea, but these days she isn't taking any of it! Anyway, should be well finished before the rugby!

Take care my friend and all the best,

David

• Posted

Hey Don, just as the anxiety and low mood are slowly improving, the intrusive thoughts will subside. Remember we are stil in nappies, and new things come along every day. Some horrid and some good. Just keep believing that it's slow and will resolve with time, the age old healer. Keep distracted and gave one goal a day, something to preoccupy that busy mind. Play some music, take a walk or get a coloring in book for adults. I do a lot of coloring and it really is relaxing. Build something, find a new recipe. All will take some effort, but wil also distract you from those thoughts that are bothering you. Keep going. Lee.
  • Posted

I agree with Lee Don distraction is the best therapy for intrusive thoughts . I used to go out and spend time in the garden ,listen to some Music and currently I do colouring in for adults ,very therapeutic and soothing I also do Meditation on Thursdays with a group from my local church. I'm not terribly religious but this group is so nice and supportive and I feel completely at 

peace it is a helpful resource. I used to have bad intrusive thoughts too Don but like the morning anxiety it went after about six months . It takes time and  now I feel really well and enjoying life. You will too. X

• Posted

Hi Don

You're feeling your anxiety and low mood is a bit better, and so will the intrusive thoughts too eventually.  Let the anxiety and mood start lifting, and you'll find those intrusive thoughts will follow suit.  Remember, it's the anxiety that keeps those thoughts fresh, and once the anxie starts to ease those thoughts will begin to not bother you.

When we're not well we have that negative voice that sits on our shoulder telling you over and over that you won't get better, you're not like other people who get well, you'll be ill forever ........ and so on and so on.  My negative voice did exactly the same, plus I had other intrusive thoughts that used to scare me.  As my anxiety lifted those thoughts began not to seem so large and at the front of my mind ..... I could do something and realise I hadn't thought of those thoughts for a while. It was such a relief.  As time went by and the anxiety eased more and more, so did those thoughts.

Today I can think of those thoughts and they don't bother me at all.  They are not fired up by anxiety.

You seem to be seeng slight improvement ...... it's beginning to work for you.

K x

• Posted

Thanks katecogs 😃

Like you say this is the hardest thing I've every had to deal with but determined to beat it 😃😃

• Posted

Hello everyone . I have just finished week 6 on 10 mg . I was improving really well until last weekend when I seemed to pick up a tummy / flu bug . I have been ill all week , upset tummy , achy , freezing cold and then sweating and a horrible taste in my mouth . My appetite has gone again completely . I keep waking up early feeling extremely anxious again thinking that there must be something seriously wrong with me or that I am going back to my old anxious ways . Like I say I was much happier and feeling like my old self , so what is happening ? Should I still feel ill a week after starting this bug or is it something else ? My husbands , I feel is losing patience with me I know , maybe he would be better off without me as I am just a strain . I really can't go on like this if this is all my future has to offer . I didn't have any health issues before my mum passed away last summer . I miss her so much . I could do with her shoulder to cry on . I have tears in my eyes now thinking about her . Please help me . Thank you Jane Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Jane

Sorry to here about you loss this citalapram journey is a long one for some and some get relief quickly I'm in my 13th week 20mg now and I'm struggling with intrusive/negative thoughts I keep going up and down its so frustrating 1 minute you think your getting their then it's like your back to the start we need to give these mads time to work some of us a long time but we WILL get their I know at times it seems like we will never get better but from what I've learned on this site is times a healer 😃Chin up and keep in touch 😀

• Posted

the mediine won't get rid of the negative thoughts; YOU have to do that by stopping it - change your thoughts- think of other things....this is called cognitive therapy...YOU have to take control of your thoughts - the celexa won't do that; It's not witch craft. YOU and only you are responsible for your own thoughts ...do you want it any other way?
    • Posted

That's not true people on this site have had the same problem intrusive thoughts are because of anxiety and these meds help the anxiety go away as the anxiety goes away so do the thoughts 😄😄😄
    • Posted

Cognitive therapy helps of course, and it's another route to approach the problem by - the other route is the meds.

For me - the medicine DID stop the thoughts.  Thoughts are a side effect of anxiety, and the medicine relieves the anxiety and so in turn the thoughts will subside.  I am the result of this after suffering intrusive thoughts for 15 long years.  And I had it real bad.  24/7 for 15 years.  I had cognitive therapy - tried to change my thoughts, replace them with positive ones ... and it left me frustrated and more anxious.  I tried hypnosis too and normal anti depressants did nothing to help.  Only when I started SSRI's did this stop.  I couldn't believe it either.

Nobody explained about intrusive thoughts that made sense to me - until I read many books and now understand the theory that I follow.  You are not responsible for your own thoughts.  It's part of the illness.  Saying you are in charge of your thoughts is the same as saying you're in control of your illness.  You're not.  When you're ill and suffering with anxiety, your mind becomes tired, intrusive thoughts stick to a tired mind and are full of anxiety.  So you have the anxiety feeding the thoughts, and the thoughts feeding the anxiety.  That cycle needs to be broken.  When the anxiety abates with the help of these meds, the thoughts won't have the anxious impact and will lose their importance.  It's the body's reaction to them that keeps them there.  Fix the anxiety and the thoughts will ease off and eventually not bother you.

I tried for 15 years to sort mine, and if someone had said to me only you are responsible for it, I would have found that devastating and would probably made me worse.  One wrong word can make you feel anxious about it all.  You need to hear positive posts.

15 years of intrusive thoughts only disappeared by taking SSRI's.  I'd say they work.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Don just read Katecogs last post to you and I am totally in agreement with her. My intrusive thoughts went once the meds got rid of the anxiety. Now I am anxiety free ,I am intrusive thought free. I have some medical issues going on at present but calmly taking one step at a time and thinking positively about it in the past I would not have been calm but in an agitated state and thinking worse case scenario.

As Katecogs pointed out once the anxiety settles so will the thoughts.I can control my thoughts much better now but that's because of the meds the CBT was just a helpful resource not a solution.

Don you just need lots of reassurance and you are welcome to ask for this here that's what we're here for to support each other.Take Care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.