Negative media reports about Mesh in abdominal surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am going soon for a pre assessment for my operation whihc ostensibly is a hernia of my bowel although i had no infromation on that yet.  I like to keep abreast of things involving my health and health issues in general and some news about mesh used in surgey has worried me.  If I am given options to have surgery on my bowel with or without mesh what do other patients advise?  I am all ready very anxious because it will be astruggle for me to manage the household dog and shopping etc.  My husband is retired and has some memory issues..no domestic skills and often falls asleep in the day.  I was wondering if I could get any free homehelp after surgery?  Has anyone got anything to offer on this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. If you given the option to not have the mesh and the surgeon is confident the non-mesh repair was OK then I would avoid the mesh. I've had an inguinal hernia mesh repair and my wife a vaginal mesh repair. So far my wife's is 100% and mine gives a few twinges so is 90%. I suspect the majority of mesh repairs are fine but when they go wrong they go badly wrong and difficult to fix. Neither my surgeon nor my wife's have asked to monitor our long-term recovery which worries me as there is then no feedback

• Posted

i live in Exeter area and i expect it will depend on whether our hospital does this procedure without mesh

• Posted

I agree... do not have a mesh inserted if possible. It ruined my life for 3 years. I had it removed and I feel a lot better. Still not 100% but getting there. I just wish I had those 3 years back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.