Negative MRI & EMG...suggestions?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I’m a 21 year old male. I have been experiencing left side tingling and sometimes numbness. When I say left side, I mean my entire left side, i.e. face, torso, arm, hand, and leg. I’m also having twitches all over my body. I went to Florida back in June and got sick with what I was told, a salivary gland infection. My chest then became very tight shortly after and it made it hard to breathe at times. I still sometimes experience this but not nearly as often as I did. I came back home after about 2 weeks of being sick in Florida and then I started to have numbness in my arm when I was driving home and then it spread to the entire left side of my body. I don’t so much have the numbness anymore, but it’s more of a “disconnected” feeling. It’s rather strange and I’m not sure how to manage it. This started at the beginning of July and the muscle twitches started shortly after.

My family doctor ordered an EMG which came back normal and I saw a neurologist last week and he ordered an MRI which has also came back negative as well. 

I have been through several blood tests for infections and Lyme disease and autoimmune diseases and such. I’m not sure what else can be causing this...I don’t want to just assume ALS because that’s a worse case scenario but I also know that ALS can be missed in the beginning if that’s what this is. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Were you prescribed any antibiotics  for the salivary gland infection ?
    • Posted

I was given amoxicillin but I’ve been prescribed that in the past a few times with no such reaction like this.
    • Posted

That's good as it is Fluoroquinolones that could have caused such reactions.

• Posted

Any other ideas, then? I'm totally lost right now and I'm not really sure what to do.

• Posted

Literally asking myself the same question. I'm not sure how accurate that diagnosis was. The right side of my jaw was swollen and it was pretty painful to eat. I assumed it was something similar to TMJ but yeah. I had never heard of a salivary gland infection until that point.

• Posted

No other ideas and like me you have been to experts and had tests that have not given them any indications. As I tell all my consultants they have lost the ability to diagnose and rely to much on scans and tests.   
    • Posted

Did you have any other saliva bumps or glands up in your mouth ? 

I’ve got 2 little ones up in my mouth my doctor said they are saliva glands they don’t hurt but won’t go away they came up after after an adenoids biopsy 

• Posted

Did you get it after taking antibiotics ? I know I did and my life is a living hell
  • Posted

Did you visit the Everglades? There are lots of strange insects there in summer
    • Posted

Nope, I stayed in Punta Gorda, about 30 minutes north of Ft. Myers. 
  • Posted

UPDATE:

My neurologist called me back and they are putting me on prednisone for 2 weeks to see if that does anything and if it doesn't, they are going to put me on some sort of nerve medication to help dull the symptoms but not fix anything (literal quote). 

I asked about bartonella and the EBV virus and he doesn't think its either of those so I'm kind of lost right now and I'm not sure what else to do. I would much rather know what's going on with me rather than just given medicine to help dull or stop the symptoms.

• Posted

Sounds like we have to do something so lets try this. Prednisone is the lesser of two evils. The other drugs

will be Antidepressants and a Anti-seizure medications.such as gabapentin  pregabalin (Lyrica) and carbamazepine .that you would not want to take long term.

• Posted

Well, I'm currently experiencing a stiff index finger and my joints are kind of stiff. It could just be the weather. My muscle twitches have calmed down in the past week or so but they're still existent. I'm still having this "disconnected" feeling. I'm not sure what the steroids are going to do but yeah

• Posted

Recently my weight bearing joints are stiff when standing/walking and seems not much can be done for that. I don't imagine the steroids will help with the disconnected feeling. Hopefuly the steroids will help soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.