Negative STI result partner positive.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My partner has tested positive for gonorrhoea I have tested all clear. She has had no other partners I had a one night stand no penetrative sex but  unprotected oral both ways a few months ago. Is it possible I passed on the infection and it has cleared up naturally ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Has she never had any other partners?  About half of women don't have any symptoms, so if she's ever had sex with anyone who's ever had sex with anyone else, then the most likely explanation is that she had gonorrhea before she met you.  Gonorrhea can go away without treatment, but 90-95% of men have symptoms, so it's unlikely that you could have had it without being aware.

These links may help:

https://patient.info/health/gonorrhoea-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/gonorrhoea-pro  (written for doctors)

• Posted

She has had no partners for the last 14 years so I would suspect that it would not have been around for so long. She only showed symptoms 2 weeks ago.
    • Posted

I'm not sure, but I don't think it can be dormant for that long and then become transmissible.  

All of the following are possible but rare though:

a man getting gonorrhea from unprotected oral sex

a man with gonorrhea having no symptoms

gonorrhea in a man going away without antibiotics

All three of those happening must be very rare.  The most likely (but not the only) explanation is that she's picked it up from someone else, but doesn't want to admit it (she could have been drunk or raped).  If you like her enough, it may not matter.  The most important thing is that she's told you though, so you were able to get tested, and that you don't have it.

• Posted

As gonorrhoea is a sexually transmitted disease your partner would have caught it from having sex with someone else. You are not always aware you have it unless tested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.