Neither nurse nor GP could do smear - referred to hospital

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been referred to hospital for a smear test to be done because neither the nurse nor doctor could do it, they say they can't see my cervix, probably because of my hysterectomy and possible scarring, let alone the pain it causes me. Has anyone else had this and how does it differ from the "normal" test? Can you take painkillers beforehand? Any advice appreciated thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry but I know nothing of the hospital test you are going to have done. I haven't had to have a smear test for years but perhaps the reason why the doctor and nurse couldn't find your cervix is because when you had your hysterectomy they took away your cervix at the same time.   I had a hysterectomy and they told me after the operation that I wouldn't need any more smear tests because this is what they had done to me.  Can you get your records checked to see what they did?
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, I had a sub total hysterectomy i.e. cervix and ovaries left, because of my age at the time (44) they said, I wish now they had done a total but anyway yes it is still there!
  • Posted

It's disgraceful what they put women through, they're so determined to protect population pap testing. The fact is VERY few women can benefit from pap testing, about 5% of women aged 30 to 60 are HPV+, these are the only women who should be offered a 5 yearly pap test. MOST women are having unnecessary pap testing. (HPV-)

You can test yourself for HPV with Tampap or the Delphi Screener. (you can order them online) 

it's shocking that they refuse to offer women self-testing and better testing options, it would save more lives and take most women out of pap testing and harms way. (false positives, excess biopsies and over-treatment can damage the cervix and lead to infertility, premature babies, c-sections, cervical cerclage, miscarriages etc.)

it's incredible they'd refer a woman to a hospital without first offering HPV self-testing, the fact is you're very likely to be HPV- and therefore cannot benefit from pap testing. Women can then self-test for HPV again in 5 or 10 years time, depending on age, to guard against a new infection. Those HPV- and no longer sexually active might choose to stop all further testing. If you're HPV+ then you might choose to have a pap test.

Also, do you have a cervix? If you don't and you had your hysterectomy for a non-cancerous condition, you cannot benefit from pap testing anyway.

When more women demand something better, we might see change, but as it stands population pap testing makes millions for vested interests, so while they can get enough women to test, they'll stay with outdated population pap testing that worries and harms huge numbers. There was never a need to worry and harm so many to help so few....cervical cancer was always rare and in natural decline before testing even began....0.65% is the lifetime risk. The referral rate for colposcopy and biopsy here in Australia is a massive 77% thanks to serious over-screening with the pap test. The UK rate would be a bit lower, but still avoidable with HPV primary testing.

women need to be very careful with cervical and breast cancer screening, they are options, nothing more, I'd urge everyone to do their reading and make informed decisions, and yes, we can say No. I did...

• Posted

Diane,

forgot to mention the new program recommended by the Dutch Heath Council is evidence based: 5 HPV primary tests at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 or self-testing with the Delphi Screener and a pap test will ONLY be offered to the roughly 5% who are HPV+ and at risk.

so the Dutch Heath Council has recommended scrapping population pap testing.

• Posted

I went for mine yesterday and they couldn't find the opening and they think my cervix is higher up and they have referred me to the hospital too for mine this is only my first one so I'm not sure about the painkillers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.