Nerve Block

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had nerve block injections? What did you feel like right after? Do you know right away if it helped or were you too numb from the procedure to know right away? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had one years back. Seemed like it helped immediately even after lidocaine wore off 
    • Posted

Thanks DJ. Getting one in a couple weeks as last ditch effort. 
  • Posted

Dear Kathy

I have had the nerve block, or denervation, on three occasions.  None of them worked and I feel that I have wasted valuable time and money on them.  

There comes a point where you reach the end of the road as far as the pain goes, and i've well and truly reached it. My surgeon is recommending a Whipple procedure, to get rid of the inflamed head and surrounding tissue.  My scans suggest that it is only the head of the pancreas which is badly inflamed, the body and tail appear ok on the scans.  Even so, the pain has been so bad that i'm contemplating asking for a TP.  It has come to the point where i'd trade the pain for type 1 diabetes.

I hope you have better luck than me. 

Best Wishes

• Posted

They recommended a TP to me and I am in school for pre-med so one thing I will say is that make sure the doctors explain the what the type 1 diabetes you'll have is because it isn't normal type 1 diabetes. You'll be a brittle type 1 diabetes which means your body does not produce insulin anymore it also can't release glucagon anymore which means you can go into a coma from low blood sugars while you are sleeping and it is very hard to manage. You can get diabetes dogs but even with them it is extremely hard to manage. I said no to it because someone I know had a TP and wishes they never got it done. They said it wasn't worth trading the pain for this because they are even sicker then they were. Have you tried lyrica or gabapentin or even menthadone or now they even use saboxone. And I know it sounds crazy but acupuncture can actually really help too! I've seen videos in school of people having surgery fully awake with no anesthesia and just acupuncture, sounds crazy I know! I just don't wish what happened on the person I know to my worst enemy and I know some doctors are just cut happy and don't tell you every single thing that can happen because they didn't tell me about brittle type 1 diabetes and that, that is the kind you get from the surgery they just said it was type 1 diabetes. I'd also be careful with the whipple too because the same thing can happen. Where you become a brittle type one diabetic because they take out too many islets cells. I went to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota because they are the best for GI and pancreas problem in the world! The doctor that I had their had written 65% of everything published in the pancreas and totally avoided anymore surgeries! His name is Santhi Swaroop Vege, I'd say look into him and an appointment with him is worth a shot before any surgeries. They will do all test that you've most likely gotten before but he is amazing and they get you right in there, I called on a Tuesday and they were offering me an appointment for the following Monday but I told them I had to make it a month or two out because I live in Massachusetts and had to get money for travel expenses to go to Minnesota. But I would 100% say go and see him and see what he has to say before you get any surgeries!

• Posted

Thank so much for your helpful comments on brittle type 1 diabetes.  I will certainly bear them in mind when I see the surgeon.  I don't live in the United States, so the surgeon you recommend is out of reach.  Nevertheless, I will do some reading and familiarise myself with his good work.  Thank you once again.

• Posted

Hey Kathy, I got 2 nerve blocks.  I got mine done by endoscopic ultra sound because they said if you get it done at a pain clinic they guide a needle with ultrasound into your back and through your Aorta and they said it is dangerous so I said then let's just do it the endoscopic ultra sound way which sounds a lot safer! They knocked me out and it wasn't bad until the anesthesia/conscious sedation wears off. After that I felt like I got hit by a bus for 3 days and my whole entire abdomen was sore because the plexus nerve is one of the main nerve clusters that almost all the abdomen nerves go to. After the first 3 days were over I felt amazing  and had no pain at all for about a year so it was totally worth it even with those crappy first 3 days! Then I got a second celiac plexus nerve block and it did nothing and my doctor said that the nerve blocks usually only work the first time you do them. I would say while after your nerve block I would ask your doctor about getting on some sort of nerve dulling medication so hopefully you don't have to deal with the pain once the nerve block wears off. I am on Lyrica and it works amazing for the nerve pain and it doesn't have the drowsy side affect like gabapentin does! Hope some of this helps you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.