Nerve Block, pain gone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had PHN on the right side of the head since September 2015. I was on Neurontin 6000mg a day Lyrica, Amatrypteline all this stuff. Anyway I went to see the neurologist and had the nerve block which was a small injection in the scalp at the nerve centre which is causing the pain. The next day I woke up and there was no pain. It's been about a week now and still no pain. The neurologist says I could be pain free fro 2 - 3 months. Then I have to go back and receive another injection. I can't believe it, pain gone! I wondered if anyone else here has had experience of Nerve Block? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ron,

What wonderful, exciting and positive news!!!!! You must be and feel SO relieved.

Well I'm seeing a neurologist on July 5 for Botox injections which, he believes, will block the pain pathway and I'm hanging out for some kind of relief.

Thanks again for sharing your great news.

• Posted

Hi Catherine

Thanks for your reply. I asked the neurologist about botox injections which I'd heard about in this forum and he didn't seem to think it was effective. It's strange how we seem to get all these conflicting views by professionals. I should add, I had the injection done in Thailand by a Thai neurologist trained in UK

• Posted

It really is great to hear something positive. I've had a nerve block for shoulder surgery it was amazing how effective it is. I not sure if they would do that for PHN in the US. Well,please keep us updated, were all hoping for your continued success. Thanks Ron
    • Posted

Hi Tim, yes I feel a certain responsibility to this forum to let people know about anything positive, it's such a prolonged pain. Interesting to know you had nerve block for shoulder surgery and it was effective. For me life continues to be pain free, there's a sparkling feeling around the area where the pain used to be and the itchiness continues, but the relief is amazing and I don't have to take the Neurontin etc anymore.

• Posted

Hi Ron

That's good news for you. I've had PHN for 4 years. Did you receive the injection in England or are you living elsewhere? I may enquire about it from my Dr.Also Neurontin, 6000mg a day sounds alot as I take the maximum up 1800mg a day of gabapentin. perhaps I'll try Neurontin, to see if it works any better.  . 

• Posted

Hi John

Yes it was the high dosage of 6000mg Neurontin a day that caused the doctors I went to see to insist I had the Nerve Block. Something had to be done. I was expecting the worst but it was tiny, just two injections; an anesthetic then the nerve block injection. I'm living in Thailand, had the Nerve block here.

• Posted

Hi Ron, i see you had this treatment in Thailand. My wifes father lives in Thailand and has exactly the same problem as you, but because he lives no where near a city, he can get no relief from local doctors. Could you please send me details of where you had this done?..you can try email me if you like?.im in New Zealand

Thanks. Bernie38

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Bernie

You can find the doctor in Google, he's a neurologist and speaks English like a native speaker

Wattana Mahattanakul, M.D.

Mondays 17.00 – 20.00 at Samitivej Hospital OPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.