Nerve Conduction Study & EMG

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I recently posted on here after I had the Cortisone Steroid Injection and had side effects, which have subsided now. However, the nerve pain for CTS never went away.

I had an MRI last Friday to conduct whether the nerve pain is connected to my neck, which aren't. That was the most horrible thing I've ever had to do. That aside, I now have to have a Nerve Conduction Study & EMG done, which I am waiting for my appointment letter from Charing Cross Hospital.

My question is, has anyone had it done? What did it feel like and what were your results? Though I am skeptical about having the surgery I have been told that, that will more than likely be the next course of treatment.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natasha

i had EMG and nerve conduction study done by a

neurologist 2 years ago for carpal tunnel symptoms. It was not bad at all. Nothing like I expected. i can't say it was painful. your arm jumps just a little bit from time to time but kind of like a knee jerk reaction when they check your reflexes

Needles they use are very fine and only felt like very superficial pin pricks. So for me it was not a big deal at all.

my result was positive and a few weeks later I had hand surgery for carpal tunnel as well as ulnar nerve release in my elbow area. They did it with

iv sedation and local nerve block. I only vaguely

remember procedure. Not a big deal. Done out-

patient. Had to take it easy with my hand and arm for a few weeks. Played golf at about 6-8 weeks.

No problems since. Pain went away immediately. Numbness took 3-4 weeks to go away completely.

Good luck

Tom C

• Posted

@tjcal Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wanted to know how to build myself up from what was a bad experience when having the MRI. But your experience has put me at ease.

Did you do the surgery through the NHS or Private? Also did you work straight after the surgery?

My concern is taking time off work, as I did take a few weeks off last year when I had no idea what was causing the pain after my injury and found it unbearable. As I joined my current employer in September last year my probation was extended by 8 weeks in January (finishes at the end of this month). Of course since then I have dealt with the pain and not taken a day off, but I'm worried about whether my employer would be understanding about the surgery.

• Posted

Hi again Natasha

I'm in the US. I did it with Medicare which is our version of NHS for seniors. It provides pretty good coverage for most health issues although at decreased rates for doctors compared to traditional insurance I was 71 when I had it done. It was my dominant right hand. I am a retired dentist and fortunately had retired about a year earlier. I probably could not have really treated patients for 6 weeks or so because you really use your hands extensively all day long

If you don't use your hands that much then you can probably go back to work very quickly. I probably had a bandage on for 2 weeks or so but I was able to write, drive and do most basic

things that didn't require a lot of strength almost immediately. I also used my left hand gor lots of things as well My hand and fingers were

swollen for a few weeks but it was no big deal .

I never had to take any pain meds other than over the counter meds. I never needed any physical therapy either. Hope this information helps. Good luck.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.