Nerve damage.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,l had 2 discectomies within the last 5 years and ended up having to finish work after 30 years.

I was a class 1 hgv driver but now l suffer with chronic back pain and sciatica. I can nearly walk as it hurts my back putting weight on my leg.Which is nerve damage l,m told. I am on nerve block tablets gabbapentin 3 times a day with zomorph and diazapam as my back sometimes goes into spasm and then l am bed ridden.My wife puts me deep heat muscle rub on every night and it is always the same spot where its swollen. It's right where l have a scar where l had a 2 inch lipoma removed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi dean

I have nerve damage in my back  . I was due to have opp on 4/5 but instead I had heart attack. My surgeon said she would put it on hold until heart is stable used in the mean time I have had ablutions where they cortisone the nerves . I am taking 2700 mg a day. Plus co codamol . I think that the deep heat could be inflaming your back up ???

Rgrds john

• Posted

Hi,sorry to hear about your heart attack. About the deep heat.It helps ease my pain.I,ve tried ice packs which nearly send me through the roof.

I think the 2 inch lipoma lump which was on the bottom of my back which had been pushing on my muscle where l sat driving 9 and 10hrs a day 6 or 7 days a week.l was having to lean forwards and to the right when driving. It's funny that the pain is in the exact spot.l think it's the nerve in that muscle that's making it inflame.Dean.

• Posted

Hi Dean

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to bore you. I have been on the gabs for several years and they do help to take the edge off the back pain. I have diazepam but only take them when back goes into spasm .Hope you find some comfort god bless john

• Posted

Hi John, my back has been in spasm the past couple of days.l too take 5mgs of diazapam as it is the only thing that helps along with the gabbapentin and tramadol. I found out as l am being treated for anxieties and depression. With me not been able to work after 30years of work does sometimes get to me.

If had the money l would have gone to America where they test you with eeg electrical currents to find the damagaged nerve and repair it.They can even use stem cells from different parts of your body.

• Posted

Have you tried a TENS unit for the sciatica. It works wonders for me. Within minutes it is gone. I also see a chiropractor.
    • Posted

Hi , l have tried tens but didn't work.My feet are always cold so l bought a circulation booster and it shot straight up my leg to the same muscle where my pain is.I,ve tried acupuncture,epidural,facit injections ,cortisone. Hospital physical therapist were useless.l tried a chiropractor but can't afford to keep it up now.The best thing l did get out of it was showing me what the physios should have told me in the first place.The correct stretching routine to do 3 times a day.l think if I hadn't been doing the stretches l would probably have been laid up in bed all day.

• Posted

Ah yes, I taught my dad those stretches over the phone. He was using a Walker! The stretches have him the ability to not have to use it. It makes me wonder why the VA never told him about them. Have you shopped around for chiropractors who give discounts for cash payments. Also, I know here the chiropractic college does adjustments for the public for like $20 and free for vets. I would check to see if that is available in your area. I pray you find relief.
    • Posted

I have ddd and all my disc are shot as the mri showed they are all dark because there's nothing in them so one wrong move could make me even worse. Dean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.