Nerve damage 17 weeks since surgery bartholin gland removal

Posted , 9 users are following.

As some of you know I had a bartholin cyst and gland removed on 13 September 2016. Well it's the worst decision I've ever made.

After surgery I ended up with a hematoma as well as infections etc.

I'm now in my 17th week since surgery and still in severe pain down there 😔 my surgeon has said that it's all down to my nerve and there is possible nerve damage hence the pain, numbness, tingling, sore, burning, it's horrendous. I've been put on gabapentin since beginning of November but they've done nothing, now doctor has put me on amitriptyline to go along side the gabapentin. I hate it, I don't want to keep popping the pills especially these ones, one is for epilepsy to block the signals and the other is a mild anti depressant which apparently helps with nerve pain too so as you can imagine the sooner I'm off them the better as one of the side effects is a headache and that is true I have a constant one to this too is getting me down.

I've just started a new job so am sat down all the time which is causing it to hurt more, overall I'm peed off with the whole thing, my cyst wasn't causing any issues but I decided to get rid of it incase it grew larger but now wished I'd kept it, NOBODY said I could still be in pain nearly 5 months down the line.

Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything worked for you to get rid of the pain?

I want to start excercising again and want to be interment with my husband again, he has been so patient with me but it's so unfair on him but the way it feels at the moment I can't let him anywhere near me. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral gland removal...And it was about 6-8 months before I started feeling totally normal. As hard as it is to hear, give it some more time. I still have twinges of pain at different times of the month...I am 11 months out. Sorry you have so much pain! Hang in there!
    • Posted

I hate it, absolutely hate it, all I was told when I signed the consent form was "you'd feel some pain" well they weren't wrong there.

It's a hard pain to explain to others and unless you've been through it and know what it's likes people wouldn't know.

I just want to feel normal again and go one day without complaining to my husband, I'm sure he'd stay at work if he could so that he wouldn't hear me going on and on all the time. Lol. I do find that when I've got my period it burns more, however I had a polyp removed from inside at the same time but my periods are still not right. The first one after surgery came on exactly the same date the month after but this past one I was on 2 weeks and now I'm 5 days late, women's things are a pain in the bum.

• Posted

hello. I've had the same problem from recurring cysts. It takes a few months for pills to work, please do NOT stop taking them....

Eventually you will be able to wean off them in the future

• Posted

I'm still on the pills 7 months on, it's copeable now and doc will decide in 3 months whether to decrease my doseage. My periods are still not right haven't had one since February where as before I was regular. Don't know if it's the pills I'm on or if it's early menopause as just turned 40 will have to see what happens.

• Posted

ask your doctor for instillagel or a numbing cream as well
  • Posted

I had a bartholins cyst which was incorrectly diagnosed as an abscess by two doctors who sent me home with antibiotics. Having yours removed early was not a bad decision. Mine continued to grow and then pushed it's way to the other side of my cervix , finally appearing as a lump which eventually burst. Finally after four months of oozing pus I was referred to a gynaecologist who did a biopsy and it was removed. The surgery I was expecting to be minor, became major as it had traveled quite a distance. After weeks of pain, I demanded they do something as it felt like vinegar being poured on an open wound. I couldn't sit at all. During exploratory surgery they removed a lot of infection but the following day I was still in severe pain. After an MRI with dye they discovered there were more collections and recto vaginal fistulas. More surgery to install Seton drains. Still pain. More painkillers. Still pain. More surgery .....different surgeon this time. Removed Seton's and replaced with thinner ones as ones I had were too tight. Have had loads and loads of antibiotics which I'm not happy about. So much that my pooh has no smell despite taking probiotics. Am now reasonably comfortable but experiencing nerve pain. Also am very weak from not being active for so long and find the smallest of tasks exhausting. I'm into my ninth week off work....without pay for 8 of them. The cost and loss of wages is killing me financially. Had it been picked up on my first visit it wouldn't have gotten so big, avoiding the possibility of fistulas forming. I could return to work but for the fact that I've got over an hours drive to get there. I'm exhausted after half an hour behind the wheel. Then I have to try and get home after work. I'm going crazy staying home and bot being able to do much. I'm told nerve damage foes repair itself but it takes months. You may have fistulas which is causing pain. Ask for an MRI if you are still having pain. Good luck. Would love to hear the end result.

• Posted

Does anyone know what to do about the horrible smell? Mine drains on its own after awhile but in the meantime smells very bad. I've tried everything,,,I've had the surgery to have marisupializatin so it drains on its own once it gets to a certain size. I've tried taking epsom salt sitz baths and my doctor suggested taking a sitz bath with bleach to get rid of the bacteria that causes the smell. I've tried taking antibiotics but it comes back once I stop talking them. Please let me know if there is anything i can do about the smell while I try to figure out how to get rid of it!!!

• Posted

I had mine removed feb 2015 and not felt write since while I right this I’m in agony with my back my legs and my scar tissue is red raw hard hot and swollen I keep peeing myself finally they said they will refere me sex is painful tampons are painful I don’t know what is worse having a cysts the size of a baby’s head or scar tissue with a massive hole why don’t they realise how much pain I’m in I can’t even explain it’s like a continuous ache like a cramp what annoys me more is there is no information on this other then patients experience god I didn’t even know we had a gland there.took me years to get a diagnosis when I kept saying I felt a lump.those that still have cysts I feel your pain I tried everything but eventually it goes under pressure and will drain itself I tried everything sitz batches different antibiotics squeezing the crap out of it poking it hot compress magnesium needle to burst it which I do not recommend unless I want blood poisoning.its like they remove your gland and tell you to get on with it mine was removed and size of a grapefruit guess I got immune to the pain. Has anyone had laser treatment on scar tissue or insecurity issues as I feel my little flower is now a train wreck 😞

• Posted

I had mine removed around the as well and I feel like it hasn't been the same down in that area.. my leg has pain down to my toes and I always feel like there's just something not right where the cyst was removed. It will feel super hot to me but it doesn't feel that way when I touch it and sometimes where they made the incision it gets really tender and sore randomly.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.