Nerve Damage from RA

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have RA in the shoulders and this last flare I experienced what is described as nerve damage (entrapment) My shoulders and upper arms burn like they are on fire, then I woke up in the middle of the night and it felt like electricity going from my elbow to my wrist. Freaked me out. Now for the past couple of days I have burning, tingling and numbness in the upper forearm, wrist, thumb and palm of my hand. My right arm is the one affected mostly but the left arm chimes in a bit. I called my doctor right away and he has me put down for an EMP test. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced nerve damage and what they had done for it? I have read that Plaquinel could cause it or the RA itself.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi river22; I really don't know the answer for you, so have not replied before now....was awaiting someone with RA to see if they had experienced same....how long have you had the nerve pain?  and have you been given a date for your EMP??? do you have to wait long?   I feel that if you don't know the Cause of the impingement (either RA/ or something else), then I would be wanting to know ASAP before any real damage is done  to the nerve???   in the meantime, maybe your GP could trial you on a Nerve Blocker pain relief (eg..Neurontin/Lyrica??)...let us know if any of this is helpful/answers your question?               Bron
    • Posted

The nerve pain just really started getting bad these last 2 flares (back to back) I am still on the predisone now. The Emp doctor is supposed to call me with an appt but it could be months before I get in, so I will have to call the doctor back and see if they can refer me to someone else. Yes, I want to get this under control immediately so there is no further damage. I am expecting the doctor to put me on something like neurontin but not looking forward to it. He put my husband on that and he had panic attacks. I think it is a psychotrophic drug. I don't want to walk around like a zombie. Hopefully there is something else that can be done
  • Posted

Yes I have nerve damage in right upper arm and shoulder or so I have been been told.I was prescribed pregablin for it.Mine is like snapping inside of my muscle that makes me grab my arm in pain.I have RA in neck shoulders arms hands feet and right knee.I am also on prednisolone and sulfasalazine.All symptoms you describe I have but doctors just generalise it into RA and tell me everyone is different.I just go see consultant when sent for,have a good moan and nothing changes.
  • Posted

Is MRP an MRI scan if so that is good. RA got to the discs in my cervial spine and which crushed the spinal cord. It can also cause bone spurs to grow on the vertebrae and damage the nerves where they go into the spinal cord. I had similar symptoms but also in my legs. Very painful and in my case the delay in treatment has meant a long recovery if at all.

• Posted

I am diganosed with RA for 7 months, I'm taking MTX and plaquenil. I have the same symptombs of burning and electricity. I have read several thoughts about it could be neuro damage. I have also read that it could be plaquenil and it could be also chemptherapy (mtx).

Don't know what to do.

• Posted

You better tell your doctor Hala before permanent damage is done. I don't think this goes away on it's own.
  • Posted

Hi River

i m wondering what an EMP is?

i haven t had a trapped nerve but my shoulder pain at its worst felt like my arm was being wrenched off. I could only sleep with my arm in a bent foetal position and could not even stretch it out to pick up a cup if drink or straighten  as it was so painful. Although the problem was my shoulder it felt like all my muscles down my arm to my wrist ached. But it was caused by the joint.A course of prednisolone was the only thing that eased it until my RA was brought under greater control.

But I didn't have numbness or tingling so sounds different and sorry I can't offer any help herecry

• Posted

Not sure what the initials mean but EMP is a test to see if you have nerve damage. They put needles at point A and some at point B and run an electrical current through. My husband had one and it only takes a few minutes. Hopefully I will get a phone call tomorrow setting the EMP appt up but I doubt it will be good news. We only have one doctor that does them in this part of the state and he is booked up for 6 months, so I will have to be persistent and call them, then call my doctor back so they can refer me to someone 120 miles away. sad
    • Posted

It sounds really useful in getting a definite diagnosis. Do hope you get somewhere with it soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.