Nerve damage from reverse shoulder replacement surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

i am 58 years old and had a reverse shoulder replacement 7 weeks ago. i have swellingin my arm and hand, no use of bicep, no use of tricep, numbnessof forearm, hand and upper arm. i can raise my wrist and curl my wrist after constant pt. my fingers are swollen but they all seem to work. just no feeling in them. saw a neurologist 3 weeks ago. no emg yet but he claims all recover - traction of the brachial plexus nerve - is his diagnosis. Has anyone out there experienced similar complcations?

if i had known i'd lose the use of my right arm i would have learned to live with the constant pain and limited range of motion from my arthritic shoulder. any ideas or experieces welcome.

3 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I would like to ask how your shoulder and arm are now. I had the reversed shoulder replacement surgery 6 months ago. ..please respond.

• Posted

Did you say your doctor said to give it a couple years?? That's insane! Mine has eased off a little bit but i still have a sharp, almost electrical type pain about twice a day. I talked to my physical therapist and he stated that this is normal. However if i dont see any improvement in the next month I am going to find a competent neurologist. I cannot hold out much longer with this type of pain. I hope that you get some relief soon. It seems that mine is much worse after waking up in the morning.

• Posted

The electric pain in your arm is Nerve damage from the surgery. I'm sorry but your P.T. is wrong. It won't get better. I encourage you to see the neurologist. I pray you find help. please keep in contact.

• Posted

If the pain is not constant, that is a good sign but still concerning. It might go away with time and therapy. How long has it been since your surgery?

• Posted

It's been a year. The nerve pain is so terrible in the shoulder, arm and most of all, my hand.

• Posted

I had a total reverse shoulder replacement 2 years ago and still have problems with raising my arm above my head I have a doctor appointment at the end of the month to see what he says about it! My hands are numb and arms are swollen and fingers hard to work. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

• Posted

I am shocked at how many people have experienced so many problems after surgery. I truly had no choice but to have the surgery. My bone was dead and no matter how much pain medication I had taken helped. It was strange, because I had developed pancreaitis and gall stones, I had to spend 5 days in the hospital so I could get strong enough pain medication until my pancreas settled down and then they could remove my gallbladder. I received dilahda interveinously every 3 hours but it didn't phase my shoulder pain. It's almost been a year since my replacement and I am thrilled. In my research into joint replacement, I believe I read that most of them have a life span of around 10 - 15 years. I contribute my successfulness to a great surgeon. When I was close to being released I was having an issue with the incscion site. MY surgeon explained to me that it was all the tiny little nerve ends at the skin. He said it was common and I wasn't going to like it, but I needed to use some kind of lotion and massage the area. He was right. I didn't like it, but it only took a few times and all was good. I really did my homework prior to seeing the surgeon that was going to be the actual one doing the procedure. I asked him a lot of questions, like which device was he going to be using. I mentioned the one I was aware of, but he used ine by a different manufacturer. He even wrote down the name so I could check it out and he explained why he chose the one that he uses. I

even watched the simaliar operation on UTube. I don't advise that. Put it this way, after watching it, I was glade I was the patient and not the doctor. I truly hate to hear of so many people suffering.

• Posted

Hi, This is a late reply but I just stumbled across this site and thought I would add my experience. I had my reverse shoulder replacement 2 years and 8 months ago on my right shoulder. I'm right-handed. I woke up the following day with terrible pain in my hand. At the 2-week point I still had pain even though my surgeon gave me a pain killer. When they told me to just "double up" on the pain killers I asked to see someone. To make a long story short I'll compact what followed. Occupational therapy, passive range of motion machine didn't do much. Nerve studies and MRIs confirmed a brachial plexus injury. I was referred to an outside facility (UC Health), which held great possibility but because I didn't have much movement in my fingers they didn't want to attempt repair surgery. Slowly I've gained some use of my upper arm - 90 degrees. I can type, hold a pen and silverware with that hand. It all looks weird because some fingers don't work right, but I manage. I can lift with that arm and pick up things like buckets that have handles. But, I have constant pain in my hand, forearm and upper arm. I hate it when they say pins and needles. Obviously they've never had nerve pain. I live on Gabapentin. My hobby of jewelry making is no more. Can't hold little things. Can't put my necklaces on. I have very limited use of my thumb and index finger (no opposable thumb). However I've learned to make do with what I have. I have new hobbies which are fulfilling, but I still miss creating jewelry for friends and family and the occasional craft fair. I understand 6 months after injury is the optimal time for nerve surgery to fix brachial plexus injuries. Guess I missed that window. I'm just glad that this didn't happen when I was much younger. Oh, and I have a left-handed friend who had a reverse shoulder on her left shoulder about a year after I had my surgery. She's having the same problems as I did and still do. At least I can offer workarounds for her. There are aids for doing housework, but sheets are still a problem for me. I also would have lived with the pain if I had known. 20/20 hindsight. I hope you're doing better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.