Nerve damage since I was 5, claw hand, why me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was in a car accident when I was about 5. I had a surgery where I have a “C” on my right hand 10 stitches, and a “Z” on the inside of my arm  24 stitches, I can grip stuff but can’t open my hand and my right hand pulls to the inside when I use it, my hand and arm are much smaller than my left. How do I find out what kind of surgery was done to me? All my life I’ve been depressed, I don’t want people to look at me or ask me about my hand.  If I had all the money in the world could this be fixed?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I personally wouldnt stare and Id never be so rude as to mention it. Unless you wanted to talk about it, it would be your own business and I have brains enough to assume you had some surgery and id buy you a cup of coffee.Sounds like you could have used a lot more physical therapy, though, while were on the subject, and its probably still not too late to improve your strengh and grasp.
  • Posted

Hi RamonC,

Sorry to hear this. It's hard to deal with injuries where your body changes as well as any pain as a result. I had a car accident in 2003. I had a number of different injuries. The worst was a compound fracture of my left knee cap, shattered collarbone and my tongue was severed at the end. Unfortunately my knee injury left me with a tear to the skin. It's not neat and even now it can't even be brushed gently as I feel like I'm being stabbed. Tried loads of things over the years but no one wanted to know. It seems trauma surgery is very different to elected surgery. It's often quick with main aim of keeping you alive they are not worried about the aesthetic look. Or what pain you can be left in afterwards. When I commented to the surgeon. He got defensive and said with the state it was in and muscle damage , i should be grateful I've still got the limb. I've accepted things over the years. But not this terrible nerve pain I have as a result. It's also a pain. Having to be one step ahead to make sure that part of me doesn't get knocked as it's a constant reminder

I often think same as you. Maybe there will be a cure in the future and if I could afford it could it be repaired. You never know what might be possible in the future. But it's also about acceptance

I've had these problems now for 15 years and you learn to adapt. It's part of your experience. The only thing that's different is that I can cover my scars. When I don't. I don't like the questions either. It hurts inside but I know I'm lucky to have survived and that makes you stronger. People only ask or look because they are curious not because it's horrible to look at. I've noticed I do it myself if I notice an amputee or something. I just think it's human nature. I think even if we could be fixed, it wouldn't solve all our problems as there would be other things that happen in life to think about. I think alot of my problems come from the reminders and pain. You can feel abit broken inside. I guess also surgery will have moved on and there maybe something that can be done for you. It might be worth seeing if anything cam be done. Then you will know for sure and if not you can get some closure on it. Wish you all the best.

• Posted

I think the reply from Claire is spot on. I had an injury at aged 11 and this has affected my whole life. I had surgeries which made it difficult being at school, because in them days i had to wear askirt and i was self concious. My knee was left very deformed and was even noticable when covered because of the pernament swelling and deformity. I have never being able to show my knee outside only at a swimming pool. I am older now and i have learnt to live. My advice is be proud of who you are and if people stare ask them if they would like to know what has happened to you, they may just be curious. I know you want to feel better about yourself, try to be confident. People will see you in a different way and accept you if they see you are self confident. Accept yourself and others will too. I also suffer nerve pain like Claire. I cannot stand anything touching my knee, clothes, bed clothes etc. I am aware of my discomfort everyday in every situation. Nuropathic pain is not curable but i get some relief while asleep taking Pregabilin. Wishing you the best.
  • Posted

Speak to your doctor who will be able to help you.
  • Posted

Hi Ramon,  I think most people react out of kindness and their hoping you are ok with your injuries. Maybe welcoming their concern could become a support system to you knowing others care about your situation. Acceptance for all of our health issues is a must, be grateful for your beautiful mind, your sweetness, your kindness to others and for those people who care for you. Seek advice from your dr regarding reconstructive surgery they will direct you where to start and you wanting to improve the looks of your injuries tells me you are engaged in your well being and want to improve your situation! That’s wonderful, I hope it is possible, if not try to be proud of the strengths you have and get back to enjoying life bud, you deserve it. Hugs are incoming!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.