Nerve pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just a little bit about my self. I'm a 34yrs. old female. I can't say I'm in bad health. I only take estrodial 2mg once a day, due to having a hysterectomy in 2014. In 2015 on December 17th, I had to have a arthroscopic right hip surgery to try to preserve my hip joint due to hip dysplasia. After the surgery I was diagnosed with meralgia paraesthetica in that right thigh. Since then I had to have my right and left hip replaced, yes I know very young. But since then I noticed I have constant burning in my toes that slowly go up to my knees. I can't tell if there hot or cold. I get a lot of muscle cramps, spams and twiches in both legs. I sometimes find my feet and hands falling asleep. It is very painful. I did see a neurologist, he didn't speak very clear to me, very hard to understand. He did a nerve conduction test. They confirmed neuropathy in both lower legs and carple tunle in both hands. I can't understand the reason for having neuropathy. They tried to put me on gabapentin. I am scared to take it from all the things I have heard. I recently went bask to my doctor, because the nerve pain and issues are getting worse. For example, our sink decided to have a leak, I couldn't feel the water running out. It wasn't until I looked down to see why my feet felt like they were burning and hurting more, that I realize there was water on the floor. Should I be worried? I really don't know what else my doctor has tested for to rule out other causes. Also is there other ways to treat nerve pain without medications?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have neuropathy due to a side effect from harrvoni for hep c. If i would have known the risk factor i would have never taken it! I am also on gabapentin but that does no good, the doctors like to put people on anti depressants and anti ceizure meds because they say it helps but it only made me worse. One doctor told me the reason they do that is because they get bonuses and kick backs from the drug companies but there is no cure for neuropathy. My feet are always cold. And it doesn' seem like any doctor wants to help! I have had this for 2 going on 3 years. Other than that I am in good health, I an 65 and also single. Good luck to you

• Posted

Sometimes surgery and medication can disturb nerve function.  Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by repetitive strain injuries such as typing or other muscle intensive, repetitive tasks using your hands.  I have a lot of neuropathy in my fingers, hands, in one knee and both arms due to injuries. I have lost power and sensation in my right hand for a few minutes on one occasion due to an old bang to the elbow over forty years ago followed by another two knocks on the same bone both last year and the year before.  My left arm is also neuropathic after a dodgy blood test three years ago.  My doctor also tried to get me to try trazadone or amitriptyline which have very toxic side effects.  I have also read that gabapentin can be toxic.

The only thing that helps me is heat.  When in my second home in Italy during the piping summer months, I have no neuropathic symptoms.  They tend to be at their worst in Britain during the cold, wet winter months.  I have started milk thistle which is supposed to help.  It is still early days to judge whether it will work for me.  A couple of months should tell me more.

If you are having trouble with sensation such as hot and cold, always test the water with your hand and keep your slippers or shoes on to avoid getting injured. You could ask your doctor what other conditions he hss tested for but I wouldn't worry about the cause. The most important thing is to try and manage your symptoms the best you can. You could a heat wrap or a TENS machine.  I have an electronic hand held massage machine which is good for a short period  while you are using it.  Other than that, there isn't much you can do.  It cannot be completely cured. I have tried topical creams and gels such ss pure aloe vera but it doesn't do much. My doctor diagnosed my neuropathy just by asking about my symptoms and prodding the affected area.  He did no tests.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your input. I'm sorry you struggle with nerve pain as well. I will try the heat and tens unit. Milk thistle, I never heard of it, but i would be even willing try that. At least it is all natural. I didn't realize loss of sensation is part of this horrible nerve issue. I wish there was more they could do for this. Thank you so much.

• Posted

I only heard about milk thistle from this forum. I think it’s a matter of trial and error with nerve pain treatments.  I have heard that peripheral nerves can heal on their own after weeks or months.  However, in some cases they only partially heal and leave pain behind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.