Nerve pain after total ankle replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

My name is carole. I am a 62 year old mother , wife, and grandmother. I am 5 weeks post op from an ankle replacement and am experiencing sharp nerve pain on the top of my surgical foot. Very annoying and i am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi I had my ankle fused and a bone broken in top of foot to correct drop foot. I felt like I had my hand in an electrical socket. Had a piece of hardware removed from top of foot. Got better but still have shooting nerve pain into big toe and other areas. Had an EMG which was inconclusive. Dr thinks there is scar tissue trapping nerve. Nerves take a long time to heal and in my case it will never be completely gone. Good

• Posted

I'm 7 months post-TAR and still get jolts. Some are so strong I literally yell "OW!" Surgeon said it could take a full year before the nerves regenerate. ☹

• Posted

I am 84 in August of 2018 I had a total ankle replacement . I also had two new bolts, screws and staples. I have very little pain, I purchased new arthonics. Have you tried that?

• Posted

I am 84 I had a totle ankle replacement plus 2 bolts & staples in my ankle. I have a little pain if I dance to long I am waiting for new authornicts. I know that if the ankle replacement was not lined up properly, you can have a lot of pain. My doctor told me it can take up to 1 year. He said the pain should not last that long. I did theraphy for 8 weeks. I stil bend my ankle with my hand to keep it loose. If you still have a lot of pain you may need to see another doctor. If you live in NJ let me know. I will give you the name of my doctor. Best of luck to you

• Posted

I'm interested in knowing how you're doing with your TAR at this point. It looks like it's been about 18 or 19 months since your surgery. I'm 10 months out plus a second surgery 5 months ago for scar attachement which has made no improvement. I too have had a lot of nerve pain. It still feels like there are tight cords wrapped around my toes and a lot of numbness. Trying to be patient, but it's still quite painful with each step.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.